Procedural Textures?

Started by
3 comments, last by superpig 18 years, 11 months ago
Does anyone have suggestions of places that talk about the creation of procedural textures using directx. With examples? Besides the SDK? Also, are procedural textures the only way textures are animated in directx; if not could someone list a few other commonly used techniques.
Advertisement
I might not have understood your question perfectly, but if you are meaning, textures on geometry that can pan, rotate and scale then the answer is no. I don't know exactly what procedural textures are, but animating texture what I meant can be done by changing texture U, V and if there W coordinates of the geometry for each triangle.

I hope this helped you somehow.
for animating a texture you can just create multiple textures and change the texture to the next one every x frames...this is(/was) mainly used for explosions.

regards,
m4gnus
"There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't."
Quote:Original post by m4gnus
for animating a texture you can just create multiple textures and change the texture to the next one every x frames...this is(/was) mainly used for explosions.

regards,
m4gnus

What m4gnus says is a good way too. Yet in his example, in most cases there is one texture and only a part of the entire texture is draw. When the next frame is drawn an other/next part is drawn from the texture. This way you get an fluïd progression.

This is a texture what I meant:
Quote:Original post by DevLiquidKnight
Does anyone have suggestions of places that talk about the creation of procedural textures using directx. With examples? Besides the SDK?
There's nothing remotely DirectX-specific about procedural textures, so here's a book that has very good coverage of the topic.

Quote:Also, are procedural textures the only way textures are animated in directx;
No, not by a long shot.

Quote:if not could someone list a few other commonly used techniques.

• Texture coordinate manipulation
  • Texture cycling
  • Streaming video to texture
  • Manipulating sampled colour in pixel shader using a time constant

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement