Wow - Age of Empires 3

Started by
25 comments, last by tolaris 18 years, 11 months ago
AFAIK, AOE-3 was designed closely with SM3.0 in mind. Water with SM 3.0 looks like the one in AOE. Sample: http://download.nvidia.com/developer/GPU_Gems_2/CD/Content/18.zip at developer.nvidia.com
______________________________Madman
Advertisement
Does anyone that has seem a demo of this know if the camera is fixed or floating?Just wondering as it may help with some decisions I am making :)

Matt
Quote:Original post by Eelco
most likely it will be the same shitty piece of rts AI code gameprogrammers seem to have been passing around since the invention of the RTS. give the computer double the amount of resources, let it try a couple of lame rushes, then when all scripted actions are exhausted... well nothing really. just some gay nonfocussed attacks, aka certain victory for you.

i dont know a single RTS that doesnt fit this pattern. now that im thinking of it, civilization is probably the only strategy game with what id call AI.

the past age games only ever cheated on the hardest skill level, and otherwise played fairly. its a challenge unless ur either a good player or learn to exploit the computers flaws. but i agree that RTS's are lacking in challenge without cheating. hopefully we'll see improvements in this one and others in future
Quote:Original post by Ainokea
Quote:Original post by Tessellator
I was given a demo of this at E3 and it totally blew me away. The graphics are certainly incredible, but it was the physics that made it. Cannon balls would toss troops high into the air (with full ragdoll), tear through building roofs and pass out the other side, finally splashing into the water. If a tree gets hit, it will fall over landing onto the building too (but wont actually cause any damage - these effects are visual so far). The number of units was exciting too (more than Age of Mythology).

Generally it was boners all round for me and my mates. Although not literaly, that would be weird.

T

If it actually caused damage that would be really cool. Add another aspect to the game. If they do that I will get a boner, literally.

i know that when cannons hit the buildings, bits break off and cause damage to other units they hit. i'd assume its the same for trees

he should just have read yanns articles and he could have been done so much quicker :)

Did you mean yanns articlE or did he post another article beside WATER I?
-----------------Always look on the bright side of Life!
I attended Dave Pottinger's talk at GDC about the AoE 3 engine... Anyways, iirc, they use EMBM. Originally they tried to actually simulate the water's geometry, but it was too slow. I think it was a good choice- even though their water can't react to objects moving through it (like a ship), it does look quite good from a distance :)
anyway, you mentioned AI, but i have yet to see any of that.

most likely it will be the same shitty piece of rts AI code gameprogrammers seem to have been passing around since the invention of the RTS. give the computer double the amount of resources, let it try a couple of lame rushes, then when all scripted actions are exhausted... well nothing really. just some gay nonfocussed attacks, aka certain victory for you.

i dont know a single RTS that doesnt fit this pattern. now that im thinking of it, civilization is probably the only strategy game with what id call AI.

Funny you should talk like that, considering Age of Empires (1) was the first game to break the "AI has special advantages" mode. Unlike other RTS games AOE had an AI that actually had to intelligently explore the map (others just give the AI full view). The AI also had to build and research just like the player (big offenders would be C&C, where on some missions you could actually see the computer putting a vehicle out of two factories at once [in C&C you could only build one unit at a time]). The *only* advantage the AI was given over the player was that if you turned the difficulty up to the maximum setting, the AI would get some extra resources at the start.
Quote:Original post by Michalson
anyway, you mentioned AI, but i have yet to see any of that.

Funny you should talk like that, considering Age of Empires (1) was the first game to break the "AI has special advantages" mode. Unlike other RTS games AOE had an AI that actually had to intelligently explore the map (others just give the AI full view). The AI also had to build and research just like the player (big offenders would be C&C, where on some missions you could actually see the computer putting a vehicle out of two factories at once [in C&C you could only build one unit at a time]). The *only* advantage the AI was given over the player was that if you turned the difficulty up to the maximum setting, the AI would get some extra resources at the start.

yeah aoe is not very evil in the extra resources department.

but overall i think the AI is still rather lame. if they outdo you and you dont suck, its purely because it relies on being able to do all the mircoscale things much better than you. saying there is any higher level strategy going on would be bullshit.

if youre able to get close to the AI in mircomanagement, outstrategizing them is a joke.
the AI in aoe is practically non existant (i dont play many games so i dont no how other programs stack up but heres what happens in aoe
me - build a collection of towers somewhere
computer - attack the towers with a small army (inflicting minimal damage but getting all its men killed)
repeat the same action 20x in a row with the same results (until it loses)
AI? even a 4year kid soon realises from its mistakes and after a couple of turns would thing of trying something else.

Quote:The *only* advantage the AI was given over the player was that if you turned the difficulty up to the maximum setting, the AI would get some extra resources at the start
AKA cheating.

i realise AI is not good in 99% of games but for a game like this (similar to chess) AI is everything
mattm
Quote:
Does anyone that has seem a demo of this know if the camera is fixed or floating?Just wondering as it may help with some decisions I am making :)

I got to talk to one of their people at E3 about that. He told me the camera was fixed, which surprised me. He didn't seem too convinced of it though - in my mind it seemed as if they might expect complaints and unlock it later.

The game does look awesome. I watched a closeup demo of it and took some screenshots. I also got to see their group demonstration where they showed off the editor. So far all that's up on my blog are some of the screenshots, but I'll writeup the rest soon too.

In the editor it looked to me as if the water reacted to the ships on it. They also showed how sliders could control how choppy or smooth the water is and how much of a whitecap there is. Details, details :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement