Anyone still use 2D?

Started by
52 comments, last by deadimp 18 years, 10 months ago
Of course 2D games are still made, and will continue to be made.

I (finished) my first real 2D game, and am now working on my first 3D game. I enjoy the 3D game, but I find myself continually going back to work on my 2D game, and even come up with new ideas for new 2D games I want to make. I think there will always be a market for 2D games, as there are lots of people who prefer the abstract symbology. And as many previous posters have mentioned, just because its not inherently 3D doesn't mean 'nice' technologies can't be incorporated.

And now, for my shameless plug:

Screen shot from Star Lance Alpha, soon to have its next release.

Cheers,

rog

[Edited by - roger_hq on June 8, 2005 2:18:13 PM]
_____________________________http://www.deepbluefuture.com"Set Phasers to neuter...""2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2."
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by roger_hq

And now, for my shameless plug:

Screen shot from Star Lance Alpha, soon to have its next release.

Cheers,

rog

Looks good, I think this is proof that the 2D genre will stay alive as long as people are making 2D games in their spare time because people(me) will keep playing them.

[Edited by - Sir Sapo on June 8, 2005 11:22:37 PM]
My Current Project Angels 22 (4E5)
2d game programming is LOTS OF FUN because you have to basically spend a couple of hours on the game engine, maybe add a couple of more hours and its the best engine :P and then the rest you can call up your friends,"can you send me those textures now, ttyl online" and then you get to have lots of fun, no hard math, unless you're writing a picture rotation function, but i think some api;s have specialized functions for this so its just tons of fun, whooah i just had fun writing about them, shit you got me hooked on 2d again,grrrr

| o |
| o |
|o |
| o |
| o |
| o |
| o |
| o|
| |o
"whoops"
I too am one of the "die-hard 2D gamers", for I am hooked on platform games sheerly because of the simplicity of movement (not gameplay, mind you). The games I like the most are the MegaMan series (I like the 2D versions the most, ones created after X3, I just pretty much lost interest in) and, of course, the Mario series (up to the days of SNES). The best 2D game I've ever played, in my opinion, has to be Chrono Trigger, just because it is so awesome. The graphics kick arse, the gameplay kicks arse, and just about everything else kick arse. Plus, there is so much detail in that game, it is utterly amazing (for a '95 SNES game).
What I am working on right now is, like most others, my own 2D game engine called DGI (Deadimp's Game Ingine). The graphics engine contained in it is INCREDIBLY simple (and slow), using a combination of DirectDraw and WinGDI. I do plan on changing this to a Direct3D-based 2D graphics engine, but I simply haven't gotten around to it, simply because I don't like not having almost complete control (down to the pixel) of what is happening. One thing I have made with this game engine (around 2 months ago), is a simple board game called Mancala. You can download it here: Mancala - 592 KB (yes, I know the size of it by heart now)
Along with my game engine, and the basic reason as to why I am building this game engine, is a MegaMan X clone I am constructing, using the SNES version. As of now, I don't have ANY content whatsoever in it right now, but I am still structuring the basics of that game.
Teh w00t for 2D Gaming!
Projects:> Thacmus - CMS (PHP 5, MySQL)Paused:> dgi> MegaMan X Crossfire

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement