Lighting a texture

Started by
3 comments, last by Xeile 18 years, 11 months ago
Hello, I got some trouble lighting my ground texture. If I don't use a texture all goes fine, you can see clearly some lighted area and an unlighted one. But when I apply a texture to the geometry the lighting effect doesn't work anymore and you see the entire textured geometry lite (so no lighted and unlighted areas anymore, like it does in without applying a texture to the geometry). Can anyone help me with this?
Advertisement
Need to post:

- What API you're using (OpenGL/DirectX)
- What draw commands you're issuing
- If possible, code or screen shots
"E-mail is for geeks and pedophiles." -Cruel Intentions
I'm using DirectX (else I would have posted it in OpenGL forum).

Here is the source of the render function:
VOID Render(){    g_pd3dDevice->Clear( 0, NULL, D3DCLEAR_TARGET | D3DCLEAR_ZBUFFER,                         D3DCOLOR_XRGB(0,0,0), 1.0f, 0);    // Begin the scene    if(SUCCEEDED(g_pd3dDevice->BeginScene()))    {                  SetupMatrices();		SetupLights();		// Samplerstages here..		// Texture crap here		g_pd3dDevice->SetTexture(0, g_pTB1);		g_pd3dDevice->SetTexture(1, g_pTB2);		g_pd3dDevice->SetTexture(2, g_pTB3);		g_pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState(0, D3DTSS_TEXCOORDINDEX, 0);		g_pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState(1, D3DTSS_TEXCOORDINDEX, 0);		g_pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState(2, D3DTSS_TEXCOORDINDEX, 0);		SetTSS(0, D3DTSS_COLOROP, D3DTOP_SELECTARG1);			// just select arg1		SetTSS(0, D3DTSS_COLORARG1, D3DTA_TEXTURE);				// which is texture color		SetTSS(0, D3DTSS_ALPHAOP, D3DTOP_SELECTARG1);			// just select arg1		SetTSS(1, D3DTSS_COLOROP, D3DTOP_BLENDDIFFUSEALPHA);	// Use alpha from stage 0 to blend		SetTSS(1, D3DTSS_COLORARG1, D3DTA_CURRENT);				// and the stage 0's color		SetTSS(1, D3DTSS_COLORARG2, D3DTA_TEXTURE);			SetTSS(1, D3DTSS_ALPHAOP, D3DTOP_SELECTARG1);			// Just keep alpha stage active		SetTSS(1, D3DTSS_ALPHAARG1, D3DTA_CURRENT);				if(bGrid)		{			SetTSS(2, D3DTSS_COLOROP, D3DTOP_BLENDTEXTUREALPHA);	 			SetTSS(2, D3DTSS_ALPHAOP, D3DTOP_SELECTARG1);						SetTSS(2, D3DTSS_ALPHAARG1, D3DTA_TEXTURE);			SetTSS(3, D3DTSS_COLOROP, D3DTOP_DISABLE);			SetTSS(3, D3DTSS_ALPHAOP, D3DTOP_DISABLE);		}		else		{			SetTSS(2, D3DTSS_COLOROP, D3DTOP_DISABLE);			SetTSS(2, D3DTSS_ALPHAOP, D3DTOP_DISABLE);		}		for(int i = 0; i < MapX * MapY; i++)			g_pMesh->DrawSubset(0);        g_pd3dDevice->EndScene();    }    g_pd3dDevice->Present(NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL);}

Here is the SetupLight function:
VOID SetupLights(){	D3DMATERIAL9 d3dMaterial;	ZeroMemory( &d3dMaterial, sizeof(d3dMaterial) );	d3dMaterial.Diffuse.r = d3dMaterial.Ambient.r = 1.0f;	d3dMaterial.Diffuse.g = d3dMaterial.Ambient.g = 1.0f;	d3dMaterial.Diffuse.b = d3dMaterial.Ambient.b = 1.0f;	d3dMaterial.Power = 0;	g_pd3dDevice->SetMaterial(&d3dMaterial);	D3DLIGHT9 d3dLight;	//Initialize the light structure.	ZeroMemory(&d3dLight, sizeof(D3DLIGHT9));	//Set up a white point light at (0, 0, -10).	d3dLight.Type = D3DLIGHT_POINT;	d3dLight.Diffuse.r = d3dLight.Diffuse.g = d3dLight.Diffuse.b = 1.0f;	d3dLight.Ambient.r = d3dLight.Ambient.g = d3dLight.Ambient.b = 0.5f;	d3dLight.Specular.r = 0.0f;	d3dLight.Specular.g = 0.0f;	d3dLight.Specular.b = 0.0f;	d3dLight.Position = D3DXVECTOR3(8.0f, 8.0f, 4.0f);	d3dLight.Attenuation0 = 1.0f; 	d3dLight.Attenuation1 = 0.0f; 	d3dLight.Attenuation2 = 0.0f; 	d3dLight.Range = 8.0f;	//Assign the point light to our device in poisition (index) 0	g_pd3dDevice->SetLight(0, &d3dLight);	//Enable our point light in position (index) 0	g_pd3dDevice->LightEnable(0, TRUE);	//Turn on lighting	g_pd3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_LIGHTING, TRUE);	//Set ambient light level	g_pd3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_AMBIENT, D3DCOLOR_XRGB(32, 32, 32));}

I make use of the mesh->Drawsubset command.
Sorry. I wasn't paying attention to the forum.

I believe the way texture stages and lighting work is that the lighting is calculated per-vertex and then saved in vertex color, which is then interpolated. So one of your texture stages needs to be set to modulate the output fragment by the interpolated vertex color - I believe it's D3DTA_DIFFUSE.

Hope that helps.

Tom
"E-mail is for geeks and pedophiles." -Cruel Intentions
Quote:Original post by ParadigmShift
Sorry. I wasn't paying attention to the forum.

I believe the way texture stages and lighting work is that the lighting is calculated per-vertex and then saved in vertex color, which is then interpolated. So one of your texture stages needs to be set to modulate the output fragment by the interpolated vertex color - I believe it's D3DTA_DIFFUSE.

Hope that helps.

Tom

Yep, it did the job. Thank you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement