A Good Java IDE

Started by
12 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 11 months ago
Yes, go eclipse or go home ;-). It really is worth learning how to setup and everything. There are a few kinks, but once you get it up and running, and configured, it's the best IDE out there. I wish there were a properly supported C++ IDE for it as well (i think there was some plugin, but I don't know how good it was).
Advertisement
Gel all the way.
I'm a recent NetBeans convert. I was using Eclipse for a couple of years because Netbeans frankly sucked eggs. However, I checked out 4.1 when it was in beta. It's a different application now, and I'm finding it more comfortable than Eclipse to work with.

JCreator is nice for quickies, but it just doesn't match the productivity of Eclipse and Netbeans.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Eclipse is excellent, best IDE I've seen for any language. But it requires a fairly decent machine (especially memory) because it does a lot of error-checking as you type (this is one of its strong points, you almost never get compile errors). If you get it make sure you go to Help > Tips and Tricks > Java Development to see all the features, there are many nice ones that aren't obvious at first sight.

I run Eclipse on a 3.0Ghz P4 /w HyperThreading and 768MB of RAM. When running Eclipse, Jboss, Exchange, and Firefox all at the same time I find myself thrashing the HD for virtual memory. I constantly stick up for Java not being a hog, but guys, it's a downright resource pig. I would avoid any Java based IDE if you could.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement