Which C++ Compiler?

Started by
3 comments, last by egg100 18 years, 11 months ago
I'm currently using Visual C++ Version 6.0 but need to upgrade (it's only intro addition so I cant make executable files). I can donwload visual Studio .Net 2003 as a student edition from college, but I want to do my project in C++. Can someone tell me if C++ can be used in this comipiler, and also what exactly is .net. Thanks
Advertisement
.NET is a technology that works with a virtual machine and has a large library. Any language can make use of the .NET framework (managed C++, C#, VB, Python to name but a few).

VS.NET also contains a C++ compiler which can compile both unmanaged (normal) C++ and managed C++ (using the .NET framework).
Kippesoep
yes it can.

i use it for my classes via academioc alliance, too. just get it and select the win32//console project type for old school c++.

see www.microsoft.com/net/ for info about .net. you may totally disregard hte ".net'ness" of the compiler if you wish.

p.s. it will be interesting to see how many people suggest you use alternative compilers (e.g. dev-c++) rather than take this (the easiest route) ... bring on the opinions.
First off if you check my sig at the bottom you can download a full-free version of the VC++ 7.1 (2k3 .NET) optimizing compiler from MS's site but it comes with no IDE just a find a free one then hook it up, you'll need to download Platform SDK if you want to do win32 apps aswell.

You can also get beta version of VC++ 8.0 (2k5 .NET) comes with a nice IDE, its not released yet but you can get a copy of the beta from MS's site aswell.

Quote:Original post by egg100
I can donwload visual Studio .Net 2003 as a student edition from college, but I want to do my project in C++.
Can someone tell me if C++ can be used in this comipiler, and also what exactly is .net.
Thanks

Just ignore .NET for the time being you can do perfectly fine standard C++ code just make sure in your project settings that "Uses Managed Extensions" is off.

Infact your advised to not use VC++ 6.0 (the compiler not the IDE) any more because its so bad its a defunct product, any VC++ that is 7.1 > * should be used as they are much more standard compliant and solid.
Thanks for the replies.
AS long as I can compile C++ and create windows applications in the visual studio .net IDE, i'll just do as advised and ignore .net and managed stuff (and just use it as a C++ complier & IDE)
Cheers

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement