drawing on texture problem

Started by
1 comment, last by streamer 18 years, 10 months ago
This is fairly simple question...I think soo. I have a texture, and in a front of texture always are drawn some messages through font based procedure. Well this is a big drawback for performance because in every single frame first the texture is displayed, and in a next step lot of loops are called for text drawing (in few colors) in a front of it. Can I draw a text ON texture, because then I need just to blit it on the screen, and save some performance, without text draw callings? And how can it be done? Thanx in advance
Advertisement
Are you using D3DXFont to draw the text? How are you drawing the text you're talking about? This must not be a bottlenek anyway.
Quote:Original post by Lestat3D
Are you using D3DXFont to draw the text? How are you drawing the text you're talking about? This must not be a bottlenek anyway.

Yes I'm using ID3DXFont* interface.
This is a source of text drawing routine. If a word is started with & or @ then word is drawed with another color.

// draw backwardfor(int l = SETTINGS.OUTPUT.m_iCurrentLine-1; l>SETTINGS.OUTPUT.m_iCurrentLine-13; l--)	{		// paranoia? :)		if(l < 0) break;		// copy string		lstrcpy( szMsg, SETTINGS.OUTPUT.m_chOutput[l] );		nNextLine -= 14; rct.top = nNextLine; rct.bottom = rct.top + 20;		rct.left   = 25;		rct.right  = m_d3dsdBackBuffer.Width - 20;		int rec_msg_count = 0;		while(1)		{			// loop throug words			TCHAR rec_word[256];			// next word...			sscanf(szMsg+rec_msg_count,"%s", rec_word);						int rec_word_length = strlen(rec_word);			rec_msg_count += rec_word_length+1;			// end of string			if(rec_msg_count > strlen(szMsg)+1) break;			// in case first char is '&' or '@' change word color			if(rec_word[0] == '&')			{				m_pD3DXFont->DrawTextA(&rec_word[1], -1, &rct, DT_CALCRECT, 0); //Calculate the size of the rect needed				m_pD3DXFont->DrawTextA(&rec_word[1], -1, &rct, DT_LEFT, fontColorGreen); //Draw the text				rct.left = rct.right+3;			}			else if(rec_word[0] == '@')			{				m_pD3DXFont->DrawTextA(&rec_word[1], -1, &rct, DT_CALCRECT, 0); //Calculate the size of the rect needed				m_pD3DXFont->DrawTextA(&rec_word[1], -1, &rct, DT_LEFT, fontColorYellow); //Draw the text				rct.left = rct.right+3;			}			else			{				// default color				m_pD3DXFont->DrawTextA(rec_word, -1, &rct, DT_CALCRECT, 0); //Calculate the size of the rect needed				m_pD3DXFont->DrawTextA(rec_word, -1, &rct, DT_LEFT, fontColor); //Draw the text				rct.left = rct.right+3;			}		}

This is why is so slow a draw of text, because in every frame there is a call to this procedure. That's why I need some help for draw on texture.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement