[web] Accessing the Client Side...

Started by
10 comments, last by igni ferroque 18 years, 11 months ago
Hrmm..I'm not the best at explaining things (obviously)..but i'll try again

The company I work for builds community profiles for realitors.

For Example, pretend Century 21 in Madison, Wisconsin bought our product. What our researchers would do is build a whole bunch of pages with Madison information on them, including links to the parks, libraries, schools, restaurants, listings of housing for sale..and that sorta thing..and the same thing for each of Madison's suburbs. Then when the end user comes to Century 21 in Madison, Century 21 would give this end user a cd (made by us), with an authentication code on it, and it would let them into the Madison, WI information area, where the end user would be able to find everything they need in Madison.

Quote:By igni ferroque
Why are there bad links (what causes them?), and where do these redirects come from?

The problem is that with all these community pages we have...things are constantly getting changed, people switching from page1.asp to page1.aspx and things like that, so we have a link checker right now that goes out and tells us the bad links.

And the redirects are the same way, pages just get redirected sometimes
for example.. http://www.cityofmadison.com to http://www.ci.madison.com
(my boss insists that these get changed)

Quote:By Kylotan
Hang on... the first post implied you wanted to edit files on a local machine... and the clarification post implies you want to update files on a remote machine. I guess I still don't see exactly what you're trying to do.

We keep a copy of all these files on our local server, and our web server, so in my first post I was talking about editing the files on the local server, and in the clarification post I was talking about the editing the files on the web server..either way is acceptable. Sorry for the confusion

Quote:By Kylotan
And... 70,000 .htm documents? Can't you replace that with some sort of CMS?

I'm sure you guys probably think i'm half retarded by now, but what is CMS?
Advertisement
Thanks for the more complete description.

It sounds like a custom-made tool would be best. Basically, you would write a simple web crawler that would follow links and record any that produce bad status codes (such as redirets, see the HTTP spec), or connection errors. That part would be easy to write.

As for making the actual changes, you might find WebDAV useful so that you could update pages on the server easily.

Quote:I'm sure you guys probably think i'm half retarded by now, but what is CMS?

Content management system. Basically a piece of software that automates some of the more tedious work in building web sites. For example, Apache Lenya
Free Mac Mini (I know, I'm a tool)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement