self- sacrifice mentor, friend, or robot?

Started by
4 comments, last by Kars 18 years, 10 months ago
Take a cheesy film like Armageddon, where one of the characters sacrifices himself to save the planet. I wonder which would be more powerful, when an NPC sacrifices themself whether it would be more powerful if it was a powerful, wise, that the player can "look up to". Or if it was a friend that did it. Or a player's "experience" ie. they have built up their kit to be the best in the gameworld, but they have to sacrifice it all and become a weakling again. Or opportunity, if a character has to give up on one of their dreams > going to college instead of working as a check out girl (yes, this doesn't involve dying instead it involves personal sacrifice. Any ideas?
Advertisement
It would really touch the player if the player character had a vested interest in the self-sacrificing npc. Aka he saved the other guys life or vice-versa. Resources were traded between the two players, be it they lent ammo or etc. If the npc is just "there" he means nothing unless the player has a connection to him.
I'm not sure, but you may be able to tap into people's sense of ethics and how the world should be, depending on how immersed they were. In your personal sacrifice example, the question arise as to whether or not the personal sacrifice is a fate that offends you, and whether or not the character is of a class that should not suffer such a fate.

For example, the personal sacrifice of an old soldier falling on his sword to protect a just king may not be as engaging as a young soldier doing the same for a lying king. Why? Because it's likely that the latter situation may tap emotional feelings about youth and potential versus honor and betrayal that the former wouldn't have access to.

Erm, or something like that. [wink]
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
If you want a player to care, make them lose something that they've invested in. Again I return to the example of Aeris dying in FF7. The first time, I tore my hair out, because when she died I lost the hours of play that I have invested in levelling her. Next time through the game, I didn't waste a penny on her, didn't level her unless it was accidental, and lost next to nothing when she died. No matter how dramatic the music is, an NPC is just a puppet.

Make the player choose, and have the value of what's lost be relevant to the return. If you throw some green recruit into the Maw of Doom, you don't even slow it down. If it's going to be stopped for real, you need to put your level 47 Paladin down the hole. That hurts, but it helps, too.

Or just keep track of which character has the best combat record, the highest experience, and the best gear. Kill that one off. That'll get a few sobs out of a player.
Quote:Original post by Iron Chef Carnage
Or just keep track of which character has the best combat record, the highest experience, and the best gear. Kill that one off. That'll get a few sobs out of a player.

Bastard.
Things change.
Quote:Original post by Boku San
Quote:Original post by Iron Chef Carnage

Bastard.

Automaticly reachs for the reload button.........

Situations where everyone has to scrafice something. I.e. a city where no arms are allowed so everyone has to check their swords at the city gate. (sacrafice your weapons)

Situations where you can't used your uber weapons. I.e. in a nitro plant where everthing will explode if you accadently bump a barrel. A space ship with a thin hull that the powerful weapons will rip a hole through but small arms won't.

KarsQ: What do you get if you cross a tsetse fly with a mountain climber?A: Nothing. You can't cross a vector with a scalar.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement