Right Handed to Left Handed

Started by
1 comment, last by Graham 18 years, 10 months ago
Hi, I am exporting models and animations from maya and importing them to D3D. I am not using .x files but doing everything myself. My problem is that maya uses a right handed system and D3D uses a left handed system. If I invert the z of all vertices the models face the right directions but the joints are wrong. If I invert the joints the animations get messed up. The only way I have gotten the animations to look right is when the joints are untouched and only the vertex z's are inverted. But this means the joints are all in the wrong place. Do I want to invert the joints when exporting them? Do I want to invert the joints when exporting animations? Do I want to invert vertex z? Also when inverting a matrix what do I invert? This is how I do it now: m_pMatrix[0][2] *= -1; m_pMatrix[1][2] *= -1; m_pMatrix[2][0] *= -1; m_pMatrix[2][1] *= -1; m_pMatrix[2][2] *= -1; The problem could also have to do with row major and column major. Any clues would be great. I've been stuck a good while now Thanks
Advertisement
Well as far as i am aware when you swap coordinate systems from left to right of vice versa, the X axis is the only thing that changes. I would suspect that the left-right of your mesh coordinates would be swapped but i wouldn't have thought this would be something to worry about.

ace

This article talks about switching between them.
Go on an Intense Rampage

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement