Morrowind what made it good or bad?

Started by
46 comments, last by GroZZleR 18 years, 10 months ago
Quote:Original post by DanNZN
I was hooked on this game for a long time as was my wife. The biggest problem i had was that you could make any class into a god. It did not matter what you started with, it all ended up the same. I have had mages being the leader of the fighters guild and barbarians taking control of the mages guild.

In real life, mages would not be restricted to magic either. There's no reason a person born into sword fighting can't become a monk. Morrowind left this possibility open, while still giving you a bonus for sticking to your guns.

Quote:Whats worse is that you can accomplish this without killing a single creature of completing a single quest. Steal stuff, sell it to the crab who pays top price and pay for training. Didn't really matter what your primary and secondary skills were as you could pretty much max everything with enough money which is easy as hell to obtain.

The real problem here was how easy it was to steal in some places (the Palagaid weapon shop could be completely ripped off with zero theif skill!), and that some trainers had high levels of skill. I don't see anything wrong with paying money to train. But the money should have been harder to obtain and there should have been a limit as to what level of skill you can rise to through training, as IRL. It probably would have been best to make the rule that you could only train up to 50-75% of your instructors skill, rather than 100%.
Advertisement
I'm curious about how people would compare Morrowind the Might and Magic games? They are both similar in many ways in the fact that they both had a very loose storyline you could follow, and where more about exploring the world. What made morrowind better or worse the might and magic? There was a lot more to do outside of combat in morrowind and more content. But I personally found that there seemed to be alot more going on in Might and Magic and the things to discover and do seemed to have more of an impact on gameplay.
I loved Morrowind. It was completly awesome. Although it did get a little redundant. I loved the massive world and mods. I haven't even finished it, that may be the biggest downfall, there is way to damn much to do, to the point where I only did one or two main missions. It also might be that I've always liked the Elder Scrolls Series. I know I'm looking foward to Oblivion like many other people.
Funny, I have tried quite a lot of RPGs by now and every time I thought, 'Ok, RPGs are just not my type of games.' Morrowind was the only RPG that proved otherwise. I played it for hours and even would have finished it, if I wouldn't have ruined everything by installing a wrong patch.
Of course, the NPCs were pretty dull and the combat system was mostly repetative, except if you tried different weapons and styles. For example I always thought that the implementation of the arching system was pretty neat. I loved running around in the massive world on clear mornings and shooting down some of these flying thingies (whatever their name was).
It defenitely had a lot of potential, but there where many things that could have been improved. I'm already looking forward to the next follower.
-inFERNo a.k.a. gfxdroneGraphic Artist @ www.devdrones.com
Quote:Original post by TechnoGoth
I'm curious about how people would compare Morrowind the Might and Magic games? They are both similar in many ways in the fact that they both had a very loose storyline you could follow, and where more about exploring the world. What made morrowind better or worse the might and magic? There was a lot more to do outside of combat in morrowind and more content. But I personally found that there seemed to be alot more going on in Might and Magic and the things to discover and do seemed to have more of an impact on gameplay.

I loved Might and Magic 6. M&M7 was okay and they seem to be getting worse. Hopefully they figured this out for the upcoming release of 10.
The skill grind - Improving skills was extremly annoying, I got wrist pains from improving my speech skill.

With a little trickery you could have easily avoided wrist pain. See those nice windows? Notice how you can resize and move them around? notice how the speech options always show up in the middle of the screen? With a little bit of resizing and moving the main chat window around, you can exactly position the "admire" option in line with the persuasion window. After doing that, all you have to do is click really fast. I know I did.
Quote:Original post by load_bitmap_file
The skill grind - Improving skills was extremly annoying, I got wrist pains from improving my speech skill.

With a little trickery you could have easily avoided wrist pain. See those nice windows? Notice how you can resize and move them around? notice how the speech options always show up in the middle of the screen? With a little bit of resizing and moving the main chat window around, you can exactly position the "admire" option in line with the persuasion window. After doing that, all you have to do is click really fast. I know I did.

[lol]

Damn, you guys are ruining the whole system. You might want to think about becoming a play-tester, load_bitmap_file. You could be one of those special-agent testers with a specific label, like "Exploit Detective".

These are the things that ruin games for me. It's not that I can't fight the urge to cheat the system. It's that winning without cheating feels like less of a victory.
The journaling system of Morrowind was terrible. First you have to find the original quest info, then you have to find the updated quest info.... then maybe another update and then finally you're on track on what you have to do. Sifting through hundreds of journal entries became really hard.

It needs a KotOR style journaling system.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement