Direct play

Started by
3 comments, last by hplus0603 18 years, 10 months ago
Does directplay provide the programmer all his networking/internet needs for a game? Or does a better more advanced networking/internet programming requires technoligies "outside" of directplay?
It's all about the wheel.Never blindly trust technoligy.I love my internal organs.Real men don't shower.Quote:Original post by Toolmaker Quote:Original post by The C modest godHow is my improoved signature?It sucks, just like you.
Advertisement
personally i haven't used DirectPlay yet ,i suppose the asyncronous model used in DirectPlay is event-driven and less powerfull than IO completion port .
if you know the async model of DirectPlay please clear it out.
Quote:Does directplay provide the programmer all his networking/internet needs for a game?

Yes, it does. However, Microsoft has officially "sunset" DirectPlay; it's no longer a supported API for new development, and the only updates will be for security related bugs. Microsoft recommends using WinSock instead, or a well-tested library that sits on top of WinSock.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Quote:Original post by hplus0603
Quote:Does directplay provide the programmer all his networking/internet needs for a game?

Yes, it does. However, Microsoft has officially "sunset" DirectPlay; it's no longer a supported API for new development, and the only updates will be for security related bugs. Microsoft recommends using WinSock instead, or a well-tested library that sits on top of WinSock.

Are you sure?
DirectX9 still have documentations and samples on directplay.
Where did you see that microsoft has recommended to use winsock instead of directplay?

It's all about the wheel.Never blindly trust technoligy.I love my internal organs.Real men don't shower.Quote:Original post by Toolmaker Quote:Original post by The C modest godHow is my improoved signature?It sucks, just like you.
MSDN says so. There's also threads on it all over the web. It's been that way for a while now.

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement