opengl shaders

Started by
1 comment, last by _the_phantom_ 18 years, 10 months ago
up until now i'm walking the fixed pipeline rendering function, i'm having my tex coords and worldspace coords. I can do all things of fancy things with them, like changing them, turbulenting them, etc. etc. Much of this functions are like the old Quake 3 engine, like scrolling, rotating, scaling textures. in each shader. After all these effects are blended, modulated. we get our final result, The shader that will be put onto the polygon. But all these calculations are CPU based(except for the bleding stages, which are purely openGL calls) . I think that is where pixel/vertex shaders come in. I somehow get lost in the maze of program shaders.. where doe i start. there are glProgramStringARB() calls, which imo just read assembly language based on the gpu. but there is also CG language which has to be compiled. i have no idea where to start to find some 'simple' tutorials as well as describing the assembly language that is needed to start a arbProgram(the engine is quite fast in 'telling' what light sources are visible to what polygons any given frame as well as scissoring each light, but that's just engine stuff;) ) All i need is to find a good site, book to get me into programming programs, coz right now i'm kinda lost:) Paul
Cosmic Keys to my Creations & Times
Advertisement
The OpenGL shader language (GLSL) is rather nice to work with IMHO. I found the orange book gave a pretty good guide (assumes you know regular OpenGL, but thats about it).
for GLSL things take a look at the Forum FAQ

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement