Commoners gone...

Started by
4 comments, last by Brandon N 18 years, 10 months ago
Hey everyone i have a pretty short question... Are game developers usually commoners gone general programers gone game devs or can some people jump the middle step? I was also wondering if anyone has ever made a decent game from scratch compleatly by themselve, music grafics design and everything? Like a present game, im not talking any turbo grafix or anything. Thanks Rydair
Advertisement
Maybe professionally, but game developers and general developers aren't two completely different beasts. Much of the know-how transfers.

As for modern games... Chris Sawyer last I heard does his games [Roller Coaster Tycoon, Locomotion, Transport Tycoon] solo.
Chris Sawyer. Look him up and you'll see a guy who makes me laugh at the 100s of people these large companies have working on their next big budget games. I wish I had half of his talent/creativity.

But as far as going from general to game development, sometimes it goes that way. In my case I was able to go from college to game development. I know a bunch of other people that have done the same thing. Then I have other friends who have worked in general programming for 5+ years and switched over. It can go either way.
The key to Chris Sawyer's games are they're really fairly simple. Haven't seen his latest so I don't know how ture it is to his others. However, he does have a fairly long credits on his games, but I think he did most of the programing himself. One thing he seems to skimp on is AI, not noticeable on RCT, but Loco and TTD it is.

He is however a good example of someone that sells games based on them being good GAMES, not just pretty graphics.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
thanks guys

so the verdict is that one could dive straight into game developing? I know most game dev books out there assume you have some experiance but is it still possible? And Ill definatly look this guy up he sounds pretty intersting...
Of course it's possible. Pick up a book on C++, Python or whatever (pick a language, this helps and asking which language probably won't actually help you) and study. I mean a book on just the language, don't skimp with one of those game programming in 10 minutes books. Programming well takes work so don't expect otherwise. Good luck.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement