Dev-C++ ridiculousness

Started by
9 comments, last by deadimp 18 years, 10 months ago
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Quote:Original post by cignox1
Try to force Dev-c++ to recompile the whole project: what you describe sometimes happens because it does not recompile some modified files and on run-time it crashes.

there's a checkbox in the options somewhere labeled something like "Use fast but imperfect depency checking". this is usually a bad idea and i believe it's checked by default.

I'm not sure what else I can really help with except for trying to explain this (because I've just recently found out how it really works).
"Dependecny checking" is when your compiler (Dev-C++, mine too) cycles through your main source code files (as you can see in the progress label thing), and gets all of the files that are included in it (using the #include macro). If a file it records is in your project, and a change has been logged, then it figures that the source file too must change, so it does. It is called "fast" because it doesn't, or at least it seems as though it doesn't, go through the complex dependency checking, only through the simple checking if that file alone has changed.
The reason why this "dependency checking" is important is because if you change the structure of one of your classes, yet it is different in one object file than in another (which uses it), you run the risk of causing a memory leak.
Projects:> Thacmus - CMS (PHP 5, MySQL)Paused:> dgi> MegaMan X Crossfire

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement