good story design

Started by
3 comments, last by sunandshadow 18 years, 10 months ago
What do you think makes up a good story design?
Advertisement
Now, do you mean a good story in the classical shakespearean sense or the modern novel kind of sense?

The definition of a "good" story pretty much evolves over time. What was considered a good story 50 years ago, may not be any more. Part of it has to do with audience and society. And then, of course, there are the master pieces that withstand the test of time.

Some people like stories that are black and white. Others like hues of grey. There are also those that jump beyond the confines of black grey or white and redefine themselves.

So, defining what a "good story" is is quite hard. Be prepared to get either very generic or very contradicting answers. :D
Ninjas, Zombies, Robots and Pirates. And fighting. Maybe some boobs.

Try this in the writing forum. Make it a little more specific, or you'll just get harrassment and links to articles you should have read by now.
I do mean the design of a story always in relation to computer games, but maybe your right and I should try the writing forum.
We talk quite a lot about story design in the writing forum. But I agree with the Chef, a more specific question/topic will get you more replies. For example, do you favor one of the existing story design systems such as Dramatica, the 9-act play structure, the hero's journey, etc.? Start a new thread in the writing forum telling us what you currently think and asking for our opinions/input.

Note that one of our sticky threads is about what NOT to do in writing, and so is somewhat related to your topic.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement