GPL License

Started by
11 comments, last by Codemonger 18 years, 10 months ago
whoa .. easy guys .. uhm I'm pretty sure this is a forum, and if you can not ask questions here or make statements then where can you ? Maybe a top 10 copy and paste link answering system for members over 1100 rating should be posted, so members with high ratings can quickly post the same old BS replies:

ie.

Q. I need an ideas on GPL license and software patents, I also have a couple of quick questions ?

A1. You shouldn't ask game related legal questions on Gamedev, go see a lawyer ...

A2. Heres a link to GPL license FAQ, go figure it out yourself ...

-----------------------------------------------------------

sorry, had to do it, I've seen this happen around here lately and it has to be one of the most annoying things I have ever seen. You have thousands of members with various backgrounds (maybe lawyers) and experience to debate, answer, and discuss topics, yet a lot of members with high ratings have a need to make stupid remarks like go see a lawyer. I myself have taken a year of Canadian business law. Maybe the front page should read "Go hire a real game development company for game devlopment tips."

-----------------------------------------------------------

I know rating -- ,this is very off topic and I hate to be unfriendly, but this is like the 10th time i've seen the "go see a lawyer bit" , had to get it off my chest.
-------------Become part of developing the specifications of a new language. Visit CodeBASIC.org
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Codemonger
whoa .. easy guys .. uhm I'm pretty sure this is a forum, and if you can not ask questions here or make statements then where can you ? Maybe a top 10 copy and paste link answering system for members over 1100 rating should be posted, so members with high ratings can quickly post the same old BS replies:

That _HAD_ to be directed at me, I'm the only person who's contradicted anything.

1) I was correcting (what I believe to be) a falsity, which was misleadingly stated as fact. I pointed out the reason why, prehaps not asking and taking with a grain of salt, but asking and relying upon, the advice of this forum in legal manners (the things that you can get sued and thrown in jail over) is a bad idea.

2) I provided links to back up my claims, rather than simply saying "well I think this and that but I have no evidence to support my case". This is much different from saying "go figure it out yourself". Also, providing the link helps to answer other possible questions, which comes across as "also, here's a somewhat authoratative link that may help answer any more questions you might not otherwise be able to find the answers to". Keyword: authoratative. Someone more trustable than your random AP, possibly on the level of some lawyers.

3) I never once stated, nor has anyone else here in this thread, "go see a lawyer", although it's good advice in general for legal concerns - assuming you havn't taken a year of business law, and thus have no clue how the law will work.

4) Why are you complaining? Overworked in your lawfirm? Tired of getting business? If you're not a lawyer, I'd point out that a lot of us come from sue-crazy USA. I'm assuming Canadians are much more sensible than here, where you can spill hot coffee served to you in your own lap, sue for millions, and win.

Basically, I'm trying to stop the spread of misinformation by pointing it out, and I'm trying to stop the spread of future misinformation by pointing out they don't appear to be qualified to be giving authoritative advice, and thus should make note of that. Note my use of such statements as "I don't believe", "they may be", "they could still", and "IANAL". I don't pretend to be an authority on this subject, but rather state my own beliefs as just that - beliefs - and provide what authoritative evidence I can muster.

Sure. Ask questions, and we'll either answer them or point out how easy it would be for you to find out yourself, so the next time around, you can find out right away rather than wait for us to reply.

Sure. Make statements. Just try to make sure you're right, or if I spot it, I will do my best to correct it if nobody else allready has. If you imply you're authority by placing no disclaimer on your statements, try to make sure you are one, or if I spot it, I will do my best to correct that falsity as well.

[Edited by - MaulingMonkey on June 25, 2005 10:15:29 AM]
lol - no I'm not a lawyer, by any stretch of the imagination, but I have been through three full blown trials, and yes hardly anyone sues anybody in Canada, no million dollar settlements around here.

No harm intended, it's just a rant ... observation I've made lately and it wasn't directed at you in particular, personally I've found out more about GPL with just discussing it here on Gamedev than reading a FAQ. In another thread someone pointed out to me an amendment to GPL for linux core OS, that I was not aware of, this helped explain a lot of things.
-------------Become part of developing the specifications of a new language. Visit CodeBASIC.org

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement