Animation Blending Method

Started by
6 comments, last by Saruman 18 years, 9 months ago
When you blend two animations together, how do they interact? For example, if I blended a "grenade throw" animation with a "run" animation, would the legs slow down or move less because they weren't moving in the grenade animation? Just wanted to ask this question before I decide how to implement my animation system. :)
Advertisement
Your grenade throw animation should not contain any keyframes for the legs. You would only blend the bones from the torso and up into your run animation.
Exactly what puppet said - write your animation system to play animations on different parts of the body, the end result is better than blending the two across an entire skeleton, or playing one and not the other.
I'm curious as to what current techniques are used in character animation?
Well, like they said the model is usually a skeleton of some sort.

Then popular techniques to animate the skeleton include animation mixing, ragdoll physics and inverse kinetics.
Steadtler:"animation mixing, ragdoll physics and inverse kinetics"

I think he meant inverse kinematics.?
So... should the "grenade throw" animation keep the legs still, or not have them at all?
Quote:Original post by evanofsky
So... should the "grenade throw" animation keep the legs still, or not have them at all?

There are a few different ways to go about it. The way a lot of animation systems do it, including D3DX, is that if there is no animation attached to the bone it just opts out of the blend.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement