How do you make a hud display for an online-RPG???

Started by
22 comments, last by anonuser 18 years, 9 months ago
a mod has just closed my board. don't know why, maybe it's bcause i repeated my self, so I'll ask here. will someone PLZ help me in making a HUD, I'll put ur username in the 'special thanks' section in the end credits...
Advertisement
s1gn1n' 0ff f0r 1/2 an h0ur
Last time I used DarkBasic was centuries ago, but if your doing a 2D game obv, just draw a Sprite at whatever location you want, and you could make a function that takes an integer input say "health", and then stretches a bar and draws it. If your doing 3D the best option with dark basic is to use a texture mapped plane, you can just change the texture on the plane based on whatever (you could actually use a mix of both and have the 2d function that stretch render to a texture and then texture that). Off the top of my head I can't remeber the forumla you'd need to position the plane in the correct place, but it would have to move the plane to infront of the camera, and rotate it by the same angle.

Hope this helps,

I would really consider moving on from DarkBASIC its pretty crap, but if your new its prolly a good way to learn the basics of what it takes to create game logic. Also Lee Bamber (guy who made DarkBASIC) is a complete willy, met him a couple of times. lol
Steven ToveySPUify | Twitter
Do you have some basic parts of your game already done? A HUD is something I would plan to add in fairly late in programming. I think you need to slow down. I don't know anything about Darkbasic, but you really need to slow down. Do you have a HUD designed? Do you know how you are going to do your other graphics?

You really should prototype your stuff, see if you can get SMALL parts working.

What style of game is this? RPG doesn't say much. Is this 2D, 3D? top down, side scroller, third person, something else?

These are questions you must answer before even worrying about a hud.

Also I suggest you use the Edit button, rather than posting right after yourself. Thats usually considered bad form on forums.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Really bad idea to make an online rpg if you dont know anything about programming or networking, or how to make a simple hud...

A hud is nothing more than text and buttons drawn on the screen.
The buttons is nothing more than images and/or/with text.
Every time the player clicks with the mouse, the game loop through all the buttons and checks if the mouse cursor is inside one of them. If it is, things get a bit more complex. Isn't there any code released for free for dark basic that creates a simple gui? I suggest you go and find out and then tries to understand what it does.
I remeber a dude named IronHoof wrote some useful GUI stuff, and there is a library for Pro called Blue or something like I said earlier years and years since I used DarkBASIC its totally cack, lol
Steven ToveySPUify | Twitter
I have the main part done (the internet bit done) the RPG is 3d, third person, set in a huge magical woodland called Futopia.. I have just to put the main character on the screen (right now it's just a camera on screen. (now that I think about it I need to change the speed of the camera as well)), I have to make a more complicated matrix (right now I have got a flat, everlasting patch of grass), put some trees and other objects on it, and finally add the evil collision (which I am dreading!!!) and yes darkBASIC does have a demo game with a gui, but it is actually very complicated (it has a two needles in it for a speedo and fuel. I tried to convert it but it did a lot of weird stuff (like saying that 'end loop' has a 'syntax error'... 'nuff said
{edit} what is so cack about DB??? {end edit}
Use a MAN's language ... use C++ :P
__________________________________Peter Lewis ([email=me_AT_pjblewis.com]E-mail[/email] | Portfolio)
Quote:Original post by TheGibberingFool
Use a MAN's language ... use C++ :P

That's all well and good for a man, but I'm barely 12!
C, C++, DarkBasic, That blitz thing. It doesn't matter.
Pick the one you like best. Starting out with a BASIC language like DarkBasic or Blitz can be a good thing. You get a lot for "free" and doesn't have to battle DirectX or OpenGL to show something on the screen.
You can always learn C++ or C# or something else later on, if you feel that the Basic languages doesn't give you enough power.

Really, these language flamewars are just stupid. :P

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement