hxRender 2.0 distribution. I need some input.

Started by
5 comments, last by PnP Bios 18 years, 9 months ago
Some of you have been following my hxRender project to one degree or another. For those of you who have, and for those that haven't, I need some help. I am to the point now where I need to make some important choices. The most important, being distribution. The previous versions, and this slated current version are static library distributions. There isn't anything wrong with this except that updating the library will require the developer to recompile the executable. If I make a critical speed update, it shouldn't require a recompile to fix. Then there is another issue, right now, I have it so that it can be compiled for any platform, using OpenGL as the primary renderer. I was wondering if I should be looking into making this more portable. I eventualy want to port this to the dreamcast, and other dedicated systems. Obviously, the dreamcast can't load dynamic modules, so it would have to be a static library. I guess I am looking for input on where to take all this. -are simple static libraries fine? -should I look at other rendering systems, such as D3D, the windows GDI? I guess this thing is becomming larger than I thought, so how do I tame it?
HxRender | Cornerstone SDL TutorialsCurrently picking on: Hedos, Programmer One
Advertisement
So it looks like nobody gives a shit...
Static Libraries: I vote for keeping it.
Other APIs: Don't think there's a need, since OpenGL is cross-platform.
Quote:Original post by PnP Bios
-should I look at other rendering systems, such as D3D, the windows GDI?

Why bother. Since you are going to be porting to Dreamcast you are gonna have to write your own software 2D renderer in addition to your OpenGL renderer.
So, stick to OpenGL, then whatever API's are available for the dedicated devices?
That makes sense I guess.
I vote that you provide both static and shared libraries. As well, build the library in such a way that, if there comes a time when you need a new rendering backend, you'll be able to add one easily. So make the framework extensible, but don't aim too high that the project never gets finished. Just implement OpenGL for now, but ensure that other platforms could be supported seamlessly.

Does the library provide a C interface? You might consider writing a low-level C interface to go under a C++ interface or any other higher level interface that might be used (ie: Python).
dcosborn, your advice is sound, but I need the class interface in order to handle memory managment for the surfaces, as they are chained in a linked list. I expect someone in the future will port this to .NET.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement