collision detection with ellipsoids (again?)

Started by
12 comments, last by SimmerD 18 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Original post by SimmerD
I am going to try this later on today, because I think it's doable, and not that hard due to symmetry. If my method works, it will undoubtedly reduce to the same math in the paper that Christer referred to.

So, you have two arbitrarily oriented ellipsoids A and B, with radii A.xyz and B.xyz, and you want to find their contact point & normal.

You want to put B in a space such that A becomes a unit sphere. If B and A are axis aligned, this is easily done by :

B.x /= A.x; B.y /= A.y; B.z /= A.z, and similarly for the center of B.

If A and B are not axis aligned, then you can't represent the ellipse's radius by 3 scalars, but by 3 vectors.

If you rotate these vectors into A's axis aligned space, then scale down the resulting vectors by A.xyz, rotate the ellipsoid center into A's space and scale down, you will now have arbitrary ellipsoid B vs unit sphere A.
[...]

I didn't go through your complete method to check wether that would be easily solvable but B base is not going to stay orthogonal if B is not axis aligned. So the sphere would need to be skewed to account for that... I guess...
Praise the alternative.
Advertisement
I don't see why it wouldn't be orthognal. X, Y & Z are still independent dimensions, there's no projection involved...
Quote:Original post by SimmerD
I don't see why it wouldn't be orthognal. X, Y & Z are still independent dimensions, there's no projection involved...

Okay, maybe I misunderstood you but you transform B into A space. So the scaling will take place in (say) world space but B axis vectors will most likely have some orientation so scaling them will make them non-orthogonal.
Praise the alternative.
Yes, you are right, B's axes would be stored as 3 vectors, and then be anisotropically scaled into the space of A.

I suppose the question then becomes - does B still represent an ellipsoid? I think so, but I'm not sure.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement