GLSL link error... [SOLVED]

Started by
3 comments, last by Thaligar 18 years, 9 months ago
well heres my problem... in the glsl spec it's mentioned that the texture sampler is available in both the vertex as well as in the fragment shader, but if i'm using it in the vertex shader opengl compiles well but the linker says "linker error", what's wrong?? greets tgar [Edited by - Thaligar on July 10, 2005 9:31:28 AM]
Advertisement
I think texture access in vertex shaders is only avaible on the GeForce 6x00 cards.
probably (of course i know the 6'series from nvidia support shader 3.0) but, opengl 2.0 should fully support the glsl, and at the moment i got the newest drivers for my radeon and therefore ogl 2.0, or will the driver come soon and simulate it in software??
As Cocalus suggested, vertex texture fetches are currently available only on GeForce6 and GeForce7 hardware. Although, when I tried a program using VTF on a Radeon 9500 Pro last year, the program actually did compile--it just failed at runtime.

I don't think you can get it emulated, but emulated shaders are slooooow anyway. :) If you really really need VTF for something, I think your best bet is just to get a card that supports it. Anything from GeForce6200 up works (and those are pretty cheap). ATI's upcoming generation of cards will surely support it too.

VTF isn't the only feature that most GLSL implementations don't support at the moment, by the way. The noise function for example isn't supported on any current hardware at all.
Orin Tresnjak | Graphics ProgrammerBethesda Game StudiosStandard Disclaimer: My posts represent my opinions and not those of Bethesda/Zenimax, etc.
thanks,

terrible, then i need a new notebook,

thank for the info anyway,

greets
tgar

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement