Reasons for fighting?

Started by
23 comments, last by Iron Chef Carnage 18 years, 9 months ago
Why overcomplicate things? Do people need a reason to fight? Most existing customers are used to it already dewd.
Advertisement
People want to do in video games what they can't do in real life. People will go to jail if they kill someone else in real life, but in video games, they won't(and even if they will, they can easily escape). Plus, in video games you don't feel guilt for killing people.
-----------------------------------------Everyboddy need someboddy!
Quote:Original post by someboddy
People want to do in video games what they can't do in real life.

Yes, but hopefully killing randomly isn't one of them.

Quote:People will go to jail if they kill someone else in real life, but in video games, they won't(and even if they will, they can easily escape).

I really hope this is not your only reason for not killing in real life.

Quote:Plus, in video games you don't feel guilt for killing people.

It depends on how good your imagination is. I feel guilt playing video games all the time. I definitely don't feel guilt while downing aliens in Halo, but some games are much more complex. If you assume your players are non-empathetic monsters, you're not going to make much of a game; you'll never touch the player's emotions positively.
Fish are friends not food. (Finding Nemo)

What happens when the enemies are more ambivalent?
Making something harder to kill only makes me want to kill it more. Remember taking on the guards in Ultima 7 and then hunting down and slaughtering the remaining NPCs? You could loot the entire town after that, quite the King's ransom to be had.

Good fun.
I never really did that in games. Maybe at the very end, after I'd accomplished everything and seen the final movie a few dozen times, but I never went on bloody rampages.

I like to be the good guy. Perhaps it has something to do with being a cold-blooded ninja mercenary in real life, but I have never brought myself to shoot the dog in Resident Evil 4. I can point the gun at it, but I always let it go. Heck, I don't even know if I am able to kill that little guy. I have been known to blast the merchants with the glowing red eyes, though. It's better for them.
Original post by Jiia
Quote:Original post by someboddy
People want to do in video games what they can't do in real life.

Yes, but hopefully killing randomly isn't one of them.

In GTA it is.
Quote:Original post by The Shadow Nose
Just knoking them out:

Example: A monk is walking down the road

Random Thug(with bandages and burnt cloths): Yer money or yer...

Monk punches the Random Thug right in the face, Monk falls to the ground, out cold.

Monk steals the Random Thugs wallet and moves on.

See what's italicized? Lol. Anyways, people fight because they think that what they fight is inferior. A.K.A. Adolf Hitler. A.K.A. John Kerry (sarcasticly).
The best thing to do is just choose whatever you think you'd prefer, and go for it. -Promit
People generally fight in games because they're not really given a choice. I'm with Jiia on this one. The first time I played through Deus Ex 2, except for the first few enemies I encountered (during the raid on Tarsus, when you don't really have any weapons), I took every single opponent down in a non-lethal fashion. I went out of my way to make sure I did silent, non-lethal takedowns. And what did I get out of it? Absolutely nothing. Not even a "congratulations, you did the right thing."

My second time through the game, I shot everyone in the head with the sniper rifle. It was so much easier, and no one slapped my hand.

Fighting isn't necessarily a poor option to have, but it should have repercussions that instill players with at least some ethical judgment. I don't believe letting your five-year-old play Painkiller will turn him into a psychotic killer, but in the spirit of realism (which we in this forum are forever seeking), it would be nice if the game at least attempted to reflect reality in some form, particularly where social behavior is concerned.

GDNet+. It's only $5 a month. You know you want it.

Read material on how to write a good book. It will repeatedly say how conflict is important. Scenes have to have ever-increasing conflict, and the conflict should come to an apex near the end of the book/movie, followed by an optional down-time followup.

The same applies for games. The problem is that a large part of conflict that works in books and movies do not work in games. Such as emotional differences, relationship chasms, losing the girl you love and trying to win her back. Drama.

The conflict that does translate well to games are the ones involving action or physical aspects, which usually involves violence. The ones that don't involve violence are sports, racing, generic reflex-based gameplay, or time-based puzzles.

No conflict = boring.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement