Xbox 360, Ps3, Nintendo Revolution Coding

Started by
110 comments, last by Retrep 18 years, 3 months ago
Indies yes, hobbiests no.

You'd still have to fork out for the devkit etc. not to mention convince MS that you are capable of delivering a decent product.
Advertisement
Well MS has said that you can emulate 360 games on PC hardware, so maybe there will be an option to ommit the actual 360 debug hardware and just get the SDK for visual studio instead.
Quote:Original post by goalied00d
Well MS has said that you can emulate 360 games on PC hardware, so maybe there will be an option to ommit the actual 360 debug hardware and just get the SDK for visual studio instead.

Emulation isn't hardware and the MS guide (linked above) is a guide for developers wanting to get a headstart before they get hold of the devkits. I doubt MS would let anyone deploy a product on Live Arcade without a whole heap of verification or accept any product for verification that hadn't been developed using their hardware.

Not to kill dreams but if you have the skills, business plan and are willing to show you can make good games (RealArcade, Yahoo Games etc etc) that sell then MS would probably be interested in letting you develop for Live Arcade.
Jsut going back a page to Anon who said small, low budget teams can't do anything potentially AAA

http://www.projectoffset.com

Malal
I really hope that Microsoft's XNA doesn't force us to use C++ like the XDK did. MS appears to be trying to make it hard on us strait C programmers.
Funny. Our whole game is in C, not C++, and we're using the XDK just fine.
Quote:Original post by Malal
Jsut going back a page to Anon who said small, low budget teams can't do anything potentially AAA

http://www.projectoffset.com

Malal

I have to agree with the AP, what you have there looks very nice, but basically it’s a couple of selected scenes and a few model animation demo's. All skilfully done by people who know their stuff, but nothing more than what you'd see in most competent peoples portfolios.

Also if you read the website carefully, they are looking for some serious investment to ramp up numbers and make the project commercially viable, its clear they know they need much more money and many more staff to take this to market.

They are clearly gifted people (think there are just 3 of them) but to get that to AAA standard they need a lot more help, and that supports the AP's argument I think.
Quote:Original post by blueshogun96
I really hope that Microsoft's XNA doesn't force us to use C++ like the XDK did.

Last I checked, there wasn't much in the way of actual APIs in XNA anyway.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Since this thread was dredged up, I figured I would post a reply.

from Anon poster
Quote:Original post by Anonomous
"show me one hobby game in the top 20...go on? Top 40 then?"

Rollercoaster Tycoon. Designed and created by 1 person, Chris Sawyer. In addition he did all the add-on packs, and the sequal Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 and it's addons.

Granted it wasnt technically a "hobby", it was done by one person and easily reached the top 20, and at one point I believe it was in the top 5 (sales numbers), selling millions of copies.

While it is possible, it is very very rare.
RCT was not "designed and created" by one person. Check the game credits. Sawyer may have done the bulk of the design, and he did all the programming, but there were other people onboard doing things like artwork.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement