whats a good *free "C" compiler

Started by
14 comments, last by smr 18 years, 9 months ago
need one for some quick experiments, thanks!
Advertisement
You can try gcc. If you want other suggestions, you might want to mention what operating system you are using.
Any C++ compiler you can get nowadays will handle C, and vice versa. GCC is the main free one. Mainly, you just name files that are in C with a .c extension, and files that are in C++ with a .cpp or .cxx extension (the first is more popular). If you're using Visual Studio, it will automatically detect which to use based on the extension, I believe.
{[JohnE, Chief Architect and Senior Programmer, Twilight Dragon Media{[+++{GCC/MinGW}+++{Code::Blocks IDE}+++{wxWidgets Cross-Platform Native UI Framework}+++
oh ok.. ya im on XP

I do have visual studio.net 2003

so if i just create a new win32 console project in C++, and rename the source file from .cpp to .c the compiler will recognize that im using C?
Most likely. I'm not entirely sure, as I've only worked with MSVC 6.0, but that should work.
{[JohnE, Chief Architect and Senior Programmer, Twilight Dragon Media{[+++{GCC/MinGW}+++{Code::Blocks IDE}+++{wxWidgets Cross-Platform Native UI Framework}+++
MSVC should recoginze a .c file as C source. However, MSVC does not implement most of the additions to C in C99 like VLAs, stdint.h and so on.
A good c++ compiler is DJGPP
www.delorie.com/djgpp/
it makes 32 bit dos aplications(protected mode) much faster than 16 bit borland c++ dos aplications
You may try tcc "Tiny C Compiler"...google for it it's 7 times faster than gcc(they say so) any very light..
Also, maybe you could try Dev-C++. It automatically detects changes from C to C++ and vice versa. Also supports both, has customizable GUI and an update system that makes use of "Dev Packs". Link to their site.
The best thing to do is just choose whatever you think you'd prefer, and go for it. -Promit
(Note that Dev-C++ is an IDE built on top of another compiler -- the MinGW port of GCC.)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement