Buying an Eclipse... :) what to do with it...

Started by
91 comments, last by sordid 18 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Original post by sakky
The turbo should give about 500 HP. From what the FAQ said any ways. I'll need a few other things to but that's about it. So far that $3200 for a bunch of stuff. with the car I'm looking at it's $2200. So that makes it $5400 car. I've found an Eclipses for cheaper, so I might look into those instead.

Whoa, whoa, wait a minute. IIRC the standard GS and RS models of the '95 Eclipse come with a 2.0 liter engine rated at about 140 hp. The GS-T and GSX turbo models (the ones already with a turbo) are rated at 210 hp. I assume you're looking at a GS or RS model without a turbo. How on earth can a turbo add 360 hp to a 4 cylinder engine?

Quote:
Seriously, if you're not drag racing, why bother souping it up? It's not like you can go faster than 60 MPH legally anyway.

Because fast cars are fun to drive, that's why! I usually don't go past 60-70mph but I like driving cars with brisk acceleration.
Advertisement
I would think he is going for the GT (I hope. 3.8L V6 270bhp).

You ain't gonna just put a turbo in an engine and get 200 bhp more. The engine, transmission, gearbox, clutch will be good only for scraps.

anyway, upgrading a car like that without prior knowledge is a good way to waste $2000+. Unless you are a mechanic. I guess a flash bodykit isn't a bad solution after all. Less chances of making a complete mess of it. Although...

EDIT : My mistake, the old eclipse looks a lot more tasty. Hope that's the GSX you're talking about. Oh yeah...

Everything is better with Metal.

I plan on adding a simple sound system with like two 10" subs a pair of 6x9s and 4 1/2 components.

You would be much better of installing one good 12' sub than two standard 10' ones. Also, you haven’t mentioned what amp/power is going to be fed into the system, nor the headunit. Can you be a bit more specific on some of these details?
It's not just a turbo it's a turbo charger....

here look at this

GT30R 76.2MM 84 TRIM 500 HP GT30RBB
Take back the internet with the most awsome browser around, FireFox
Quote:Original post by capn_midnight
If you want your car to look fast (but subsequentially actually be SLOWER than stock), then go ahead and install the body kit and the doors and everything.

If you want your car to actually BE fast, then there are some very simple updgrades that are relatively cheap that you can perform for some major gains. Things like cold air intakes, high-flow air filters, cat-back exhausts, high-flow cats, and 4-2-1 headers. Even the oil you use (high quality synthetic) can have an effect on your car's power. All told, the price tag would probably be about the same for what you are looking to spend on the body kits, and add anywhere from 50 to 150 horsepower to the car.

Are you kidding me? I'd love to see how someone is going to get 50 to 150 hp from exhaust, CAI, cat, and headers.

First off, any decent exhaust will be like 400 bucks. 50 for a cat, 100 for the CAI, and 400 for the headers.

Not to be busting yer chops, but I think that your gains are off. I'm guessing the Saturn pushes like 170HP. There is no way he is going to show a 30% increase from those mods, let alone 150HP. Think about it, there are Supercharged LS1 trans ams that run around 500 HP. That's a 150hp gain over stock, and that's from a SUPERCHARGER, as well as exhaust and such.

If you want a fast car, honestly, you are better off getting something else. If you want to make it look good, fine, just please god don't get a fart can exhaust on it.
[Piebert Entertainment] [Ask The All-Knowing Oracle A Question]------------------------------------------------------------GDSFUBY GameDev Society For UnBanning YodaTheCodaIf you want to see yoda unbanned then put this in your sig ------------------------------------------------------------DAIAGA Dave Astle is a God Association. To join, put this in your sig!Founder and High Priest of DAIAGA[edited by - YodaTheCoda on December 10, 2003 1:57:54 PM]
Am I the only one who was left wondering how you could purchase a solar event when I read the title of this thread?

Yeah, I thought so.
It's not just a turbo it's a turbo charger....

....ermmmmmm, uhmmmmmmmmI might be wrong on this, since I don't do such work on my car (maybe if i had the money...) but uh, last i checked, a 'turbo' and a 'turbocharger' were the same thing, differentiated from a 'supercharger'...

That, and i dont think it automagically increases your HP to 500 by bolting that thing on, I believe it means it has a flowthrough capacity to support 500hp...

(Though I could be talking completely out of my ass)

The turbo should give about 500 HP. From what the FAQ said any ways. I'll need a few other things to but that's about it. So far that $3200 for a bunch of stuff. with the car I'm looking at it's $2200. So that makes it $5400 car. I've found an Eclipses for cheaper, so I might look into those instead.

You will not get 500HP from a turbocharger on an eclipse. Like I said above, an LS1 trans am (the LS1 being a corvette engine) gets around that amount. It is an unreasonable estimate. You can expect maybe in the 300-350 HP range. And don't forget, if you are getting into that range, you will need better tires.

There is no way you can run at that HP with crappy tires, so add in a good $600 for decent tires.
[Piebert Entertainment] [Ask The All-Knowing Oracle A Question]------------------------------------------------------------GDSFUBY GameDev Society For UnBanning YodaTheCodaIf you want to see yoda unbanned then put this in your sig ------------------------------------------------------------DAIAGA Dave Astle is a God Association. To join, put this in your sig!Founder and High Priest of DAIAGA[edited by - YodaTheCoda on December 10, 2003 1:57:54 PM]
Oh and, my baby:

I drive a Toyota Hilux. Not the fastest off the mark, but it can haul a ton up a 60 degree slope. :) I also drive a pretty zippy 85 Commodore on occasion. It goes from 0 - 100KPH in around 10 seconds, which is good enough for me.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement