Read TY C++ in 24H,but I don't have C.

Started by
1 comment, last by nprz 18 years, 9 months ago
I just got done reading Teach Yourself C++ in 24 Hours, and found it a very good intro for the most part. I skipped out on the Linked Lists and the Templates, because I found I couldn't grasp them. I do have an adequate grasp of objects, inheritance, polymorphism, pointers, references, program flow, and all that other good stuff. Now I am attempting to read Focus on SDL. I would like to learn somekind of API. However, it seems that this book was written more in C than in C++ per se. I am seeing some C stuff that I do not recognize. I am unfamiliar with "typedef structures" and also don't recognize C i/o stuff. I feel that C++ covers almost all of C, but there are some parts that were left out in my book. Is there some reading you could suggest for me? A couple books? There were some books recommended in the "for beginners" articles, but their publish dates are quite old now. Are they still good? Does it matter? Has anything new been introduced into C? Thx
Advertisement
Like Brian Hook used to be fond of saying (he's formerly from id Software), "C++ is just duct-taped and twined on top of C".

I've personally never come across anything I did in C that I couldn't do now in C++ (still in C). I'm sure there's something, but you can work around it.
I doubt you need another book to catch up on the C that you didn't get from reading a book about C++.

typedef struct, is just a struct (or public class) in C++. C i/o can probably be converted to C++ i/o relatively easily. You can just google the function names to get online references about it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement