level editor idea

Started by
0 comments, last by xsirxx 18 years, 9 months ago
Well i have lots of ideas and one of them happens to be creating a large world by creating patches in a level creator. I am working developing a level editor and was wondering if it is plausable to use mesh patches created by a level editor to create a large terrain. sorry if this a dumb question. any help would be appreciated. Zwig
Advertisement
Well what I did was create an exporter for 3dsmax. Then just create whatever objects ya like in there and simply export it. Now the interesting part was when I export it I wrote a function to break up the land mesh into quadtree portions. Then I export that as a standard mesh type with the quadrants tessalated. So it evenly breaks up into little patches. When I import it alls I simply have to do is run every triangle in the mesh and if a point is inside of a quadrant that triangle has to be. This makes it so each quadrant is on its own and each triangle in it is not going to be in any other one. Its not that bad to tessalate everything on yer own, and this way I didnt have to make an entire level editor. Alls I had to simply do is support 3ds max's objects and transfer them into my own format.

Also note that the makers of 3ds, make another program that can be fit to yer exporters/importers for 3ds and then be distributed with yer game. Its basically a ripped down version made for yer game only. And of course only exports yer format.

Gl
--X

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement