MD2 Models

Started by
2 comments, last by Prozak 18 years, 9 months ago
forgive me if i am posting this in the wrong forum. i have a couple things to ask about MD2 models. i know that they are made of meshes of triangles. in a modeler program, like 3D Studio, how do you make meshes of triangles? and then once you do that and your loading your model with openGL, how exactly do you display it correctly? i heard something about exporting, but i'm not sure exactly what that does, so could anyone help me out with this. i would be absolutely grateful. thanks in advance
Advertisement
Ok... I see you have a lot of doubts...

First off, meshes, or models as you may know them, are made up of triangles.

The MD2 model format was originally designed for Quake 2. It contains a model made out of triangles. Because MD2 files have a certain internal design, the program where you create your model has to know how to export the data into the correct format. That the exporter's job, to grab the data from 3D Studio, and export it into the correct MD2 format.

Regarding the MD2 model format itself, I can answer any doubts you might have, as I've created my own MD2 model viewer...
thanks for all those answers, it cleared up a lot of things. now regarding to exporting MD2 models, i have found that i cannot export MD2 models with 3D Studio Max. could you recommend a good free modeler, where i can export an MD2 model? (i used AC3D, but my trial expired).

thanks
Here are a few links I got off Google:

Quake 2 Tools - This is in PolyCount, and has a full lengh page with tools for the MD2 file format.
QTip - This is a plugin for 3D Studio Max that exports into the MD2 model format. You can aparently try it out.

Regarding which modeler you should use... well... I would use the modeler I'm most confortable with already, and worry about file format conversion later. If 3D Studio is your thing, but you don't have the money for a full license, then try out gMax.

Click here to see an MD2 model after being loaded into my engine, and after a few filters had been aplied onto it. I have a filter that generates Normals for the models loaded from the MD2 file format, because MD2 files don't have a straight-forward section in the file for vertex normals.

Hope it helped.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement