Microsoft DirectX SDK (August 2005) Release

Started by
18 comments, last by Drakex 18 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Considering the percentage of developers that have high-speed connections, I don't reallys see the problem.

Considering that high-speed internet was only made available in my area a month ago, I'd have to disagree, at least in the case of hobbyist developers like myself. Unless you live near a large city, high-speed connections are a luxury.

170MB is finally a manageable download for me, now that I have cable, but what about those using a 56k on a crappy phone line (i.e. me, two months ago)? 170MB is a daunting task on a 56k - you have to deal with random disconnects, noisy lines that slow the download speed to 3KB/sec, download managers so you can resume the download every hour or so when some random occurrence causes the download to stop, etc. And so you waste an entire day babying the download, and then hope the archive isn't corrupt from all the stopping and starting! Anyone who's ever said "just put it on to download overnight on a modem" has never lived outside a town or city.

I figured it out once, and if they were to include the bare essentials of the SDK - that is, the headers, libs, and docs - the download would be something like 22MB zipped. 22MB. That's almost into the realm of possibility on a modem. That's a little over an hour to download. If they were to make the samples downloadable separately from the core SDK, that'd be great.

Quote:The "DirectX Viewer" tool looks like an interesting development.

Unless they changed it for the August release, it's not much to scream about. It'll only load SAS-compliant effects. Good luck on converting all your existing effects to SAS compliancy, given the sparse/unfinished docs on it that come with the SDK.

Wow, am I on a bitter roll! [smile]
_______________________________________________________________________Hoo-rah.
Advertisement
Quote:
And what is this "have to release a new version of the SDK every two months" that this year, anyway? I'm not upgrading, because I'm a rebel. And because the updates are so inconsequential that they're next to useless.

It's hardly useless.
If you were starting development now, wouldn't you like to work with the most recent version of the SDK?
They're not saying you have to upgrade, it's not a security patch or something. It's just something they offer *if* you feel the improvements outweigh the bother of redownloading, or if you don't already have the SDK.

For the rest of us, I think MS is quite happy to just let you keep using the old version of the SDK. That's what it's for.

I can't say it bothers me that they're committed to improving the SDK. I thought it was a good thing. Especially since it's an offer to developers, not a requirement.
Quote:Original post by Drakex
Quote:Considering the percentage of developers that have high-speed connections, I don't reallys see the problem.

Considering that high-speed internet was only made available in my area a month ago, I'd have to disagree, at least in the case of hobbyist developers like myself. Unless you live near a large city, high-speed connections are a luxury.

You don't happen to live in York, PA, do you? That's kind of unusual behavior - I live in the absolute middle of no-where and have had cable internet for years.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
Okay, it looks like this installation got borked, just like the last one I did (same problem). I it gave me the same error as last time during installation, and it won't launch any examples out of the sample browser. Last time I had to find d3dx9_24.dll, d3dx9_25.dll and d3dx9_26.dll on the internet, download them and stuff them into my c:\windows\system32 folder, and things seemed to work after that.

Can someone possibly please e-mail me those files?

(My previous botched installation was discussed here.

[Edited by - Moe on July 29, 2005 4:58:30 PM]
What is that Windows Genuine Bullshit THing on MS Site. WTF is those peoples problem. Now they have to check my machine first to see if the windows i have is mine that is BULLSHIT
Okay, I think I solved my botched installation.

When I had the problem before, someone mentioned something about extracting it and installing it to the same folder. Previously, I had told it to install it to a different folder than the same place that I extracted it. If you are having similar problems, try uninstalling it, then extracting it and installing it to the same folder (I used c:\DirectX 9 SDK (August 2005)\).
Quote:You don't happen to live in York, PA, do you? That's kind of unusual behavior - I live in the absolute middle of no-where and have had cable internet for years.

Well, I live about 15 miles south of it, right on the border with MD. York's just the closest city that was in the GD.net cities list.

Though I'll bet you have some decent cable company like Adelphia or SusCom. You see, for some reason our township decided to go with some crappy local cable company based out of Maryland called Clearview. Slowly but surely, they're being dragged, kicking and screaming, into the future due to the number of white-collar bedroom communities around here who demand some decent form of internet access.

Verizon, on the other hand, could give two craps about us. Apparently there wouldn't be enough of a draw for DSL. Obviously, they haven't done any kind of market research, considering the number of people I know who would give their genitals for DSL around here.
Quote:Original post by BornToCode
What is that Windows Genuine Bullshit THing on MS Site. WTF is those peoples problem. Now they have to check my machine first to see if the windows i have is mine that is BULLSHIT

This is offtopic. If you want to discuss this, take it to the lounge. Any further posts on this issue will be deleted.

Quote:Original post by Drakex
Quote:You don't happen to live in York, PA, do you? That's kind of unusual behavior - I live in the absolute middle of no-where and have had cable internet for years.

Well, I live about 15 miles south of it, right on the border with MD. York's just the closest city that was in the GD.net cities list.

Though I'll bet you have some decent cable company like Adelphia or SusCom. You see, for some reason our township decided to go with some crappy local cable company based out of Maryland called Clearview. Slowly but surely, they're being dragged, kicking and screaming, into the future due to the number of white-collar bedroom communities around here who demand some decent form of internet access.

Verizon, on the other hand, could give two craps about us. Apparently there wouldn't be enough of a draw for DSL. Obviously, they haven't done any kind of market research, considering the number of people I know who would give their genitals for DSL around here.

No way! I live about 10 miles east of York, in Mount Joy. I have Comcast cable - I would have thought that you could have access to that, because we're not that far apart.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
I thought Mount Joy sounded familiar! Though that's strange, I though Comcast hadn't come up this far north yet. I see ads for it all the time on MD TV stations, but never here. The big companies in all my surrounding townships are Adelphia and SusCom.

[edit]Well, how about that. Shrewsbury is a valid city!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement