Gameplay or Story in RPGs?

Started by
31 comments, last by Darkan_Fireblade 18 years, 8 months ago
I tended to mourn the death of every one of my marines in Starcraft. I loved those little guys...

We may be hijacking this thread a bit too much, so maybe this should branch off into another thread for specifics, but here's some general advice on the topic of gameplay and story balance.

The real question for you sadrius is what do you want your game to include. You've already said you have a good story that you want to be the focus, but do you also want to have tactical combat as well? I think you can develop a good combat system within the standard RPG format if you think about it for a while; maybe incorporating ideas from other game types. However you can also include some elements of the tactical combat RPG as well even with a small number of characters; maybe make one character a summoner/necromancer/animal trainer/inventor and build your army of monsters/zombies/critters/robots that way. I'm sure you can find some way to get the gameplay elements that you like to work with your story, although it's hard to offer specific advice knowing nothing at all about the plot! [wink]
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Trapper Zoid
Quote:Original post by Daniel Miller
The two most popular games, Broodwar and Counter Strike, have no story at all.

Umm, neither of those are RPGs [smile]. I can't think of a popular (non-MMO)RPG that didn't have a story of some sort.

And I'm pretty sure Starcraft:Broodwar had a story.

Sorry, I was being a lazy jerk and didn't quote someone. It was in response to this:

Quote:In fact, the reasoning was that people (that means players) need stories to be told to them whether interactivity is involved or not.

Thanks for opinions and input everyone!

You Guys Rock!

Darkan
Sir Darkan Fireblade

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement