Visual studio 2003

Started by
7 comments, last by chris_j_pook 18 years, 8 months ago
Hi, I have just bought visual studio pro 2003... Is this a good package to learn C++ with. I only got it because it was cheap (£10 cos im a student). Having seen the retail price im begining to think it might be more than i require... Will this packge be ok for me to learn C++ with ? Also is THIS a good book for me to start reading ? Thanks for replies Chris
Advertisement
Yes it will be fine for learning C++. And you are correct, it has more features than you will need for quite some time [smile].

Now, just get a good book and get programming.
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
Its perfect to learn C++ with. The compiler gives out some of the more intelligable errors and warning I've seen, and the debugger is realy easy to use. Add to that a fairly functional autocompletion function and you would be hard pressed to find a better IDE/Compiler to start off with.
I don't see why it wouldn't be OK.

If you are having problems, I'm sure many can help, and there are plenty of Tutorials.

It should be fine. Two features make it particularly good for learning on: one, it has one of the best debuggers around and two, it implements the C++ standard very well, so you can be pretty sure that you're actually learning C++ and not some weird dialect.
Wow thanks for the speedy replies, im used to waiting a day on the java forum !

Also is THIS a good book for me to start reading ?

Thanks again...

CHris
Quote:Original post by chris_j_pook

Thanks again...

CHris

Honestly, no it's not.

If you have programmed before in another language get "Accelerated C++". If you're total newbie get "You Can Do It!: A Beginner's Introduction to Computer Programming".
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
I don't know anything about that book.

However, there is a Book Section on GameDev.net. It even has a Beginner Section.

Quote:Original post by rohde
Quote:Original post by chris_j_pook

Thanks again...

CHris

Honestly, no it's not.

If you have programmed before in another language get "Accelerated C++". If you're total newbie get "You Can Do It!: A Beginner's Introduction to Computer Programming".

Excellent, its high in the list on this site too...

Thanks for all your help.

Chris

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement