SDL sound delay

Started by
20 comments, last by Roots 18 years, 8 months ago
UP - still unsolved...
Advertisement
The problem isn't with your code, its with SDL_mixer itself. SDL_mixer does not utilize a ring buffer AFAIK, which leads to noticable delays in sound/music output in repeated loops. I brought issues about SDL_mixer up about a week ago and no one seemed to take much notice of it. Here is the thread:

A good reason not to use SDL_mixer

To quote a quote of one of my composers (who also programs) in that thread:

Quote:I recall "LIM" of #SDL (Sam Lantiga - the author of SDL_mixer) on freenode stating that SDL_Mixer is, by and large, a hack and a toy, and that one would be better off making their own mixer built on SDL_Sound.

I looked at SDL_Sound and it just looks...ugly. Documentation for it is absolutely horrible. I have begun converting my audio engine to use OpenAL in place of SDL_Mixer because it just doesn't seem very reliable, especially when the author himself said what he did above.

So that's my take on the situation. I'm not saying everyone should abandon ship and find other audio libraries to use, but you might want to consider it as a viable option. Even if you get past this problem, you may run into another. "The choice my friend, is yours."

(Props to whoever is first to identify the name of the game and character that that quote came from!)

Hero of Allacrost - A free, open-source 2D RPG in development.
Latest release June, 2015 - GameDev annoucement

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement