Graphics Library

Started by
4 comments, last by samuraicrow 18 years, 8 months ago
I heard some things of graphics librarys like SDL and allegro, and i was wondering what are Graphic Librarys? Do they allow you to create moving acting graphics or is it just a list of graphics? and is it free to get? I'm verry new at this lol.
Advertisement
Well I know that in the case of allegro the graphics library is the C lib that allows you to draw sprites to the screen and many other things. (But mainly blitting things to the screen easily).
Just google allegro lib and you'll find it.
So wait does these graphics libraries work with all launguges
Let's go a bit more in depth on your original question.

A "graphics library" such as Allegro or SDL (or a "game library"), is an extension to a specific programming language. These two libraries are both extensions to the C or C++ programming languages. They are written in C, and provide functions that you can call from C or C++ to do things that you can't do as a basic part of the language.

The graphics sections of the Allegro and SDL libraries are useful to game programming in that they allow you to load graphics from files on the hard drive, or create new graphics in memory, and show them just about any way you like on the screen. They don't provide you with graphics to use; you have to create your own or get them somewhere else. But they do provide you with fast and (relatively) easy ways of displaying graphics as a game. (Both of these libraries also provide you with ways of handling input from keyboard and joystick, timing, sound, and other things.)

Both libraries are free for you to download and use as you like.
{[JohnE, Chief Architect and Senior Programmer, Twilight Dragon Media{[+++{GCC/MinGW}+++{Code::Blocks IDE}+++{wxWidgets Cross-Platform Native UI Framework}+++
At least SDL provides bindings for an impressive variety of languages, including Java, ML, Lisp, and plenty of others.
Here are links to the respective websites of SDL and Allegro. They are both free to download but I personally recommend SDL since it supports multithreading to support the new multicore processors.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement