SDL: Linkers and Libraries

Started by
28 comments, last by orcfan32 18 years, 8 months ago
Yes, I have it in the same directory and here's the first section:

C:\libraries\SDL-1.2.8\lib\libSDL.a(SDL_systimer.o)(.text+0x15) In function `SDL_StartTicks':
[Linker error] undefined reference to `timeBeginPeriod@4'
[Linker error] undefined reference to `timeGetTime@0'
The best thing to do is just choose whatever you think you'd prefer, and go for it. -Promit
Advertisement
Okay...can you show the code?

It looks like a timer problem...did you initialise the timer subsystem?

if (SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO|SDL_INIT_AUDIO|SDL_INIT_TIMER) < 0){        std::cerr << "ERROR: <" << SDL_GetError() << ">" << std::endl;        return false;}
Gary.Goodbye, and thanks for all the fish.
Here:

#include <stdio.h>#include <stdlib.h>#include <string.h>#include <SDL/SDL.h>#include <windows.h>/* PLEASE NOTE: the program will require SDL.dll which is located in              dev-c++'s dll directory. You have to copy it to you			  program's home directory or the path. *//* The screen surface */SDL_Surface *screen = NULL;/* This function draws to the screen; replace this with your own code! */static voiddraw (){    static int direction = 0;    static int value = 0;    static int which = 0;    SDL_Rect rect;    Uint32 color;    /* Create a black background */    color = SDL_MapRGB (screen->format, 0, 0, 0);    SDL_FillRect (screen, NULL, color);    /* Determine which color the layer should have */    if (direction == 0)    {        value += 2;        if (value >= 256)        {            value = 255;            direction = 1;        }    }    else    {        value -= 2;        if (value <= 5)        {            value = 0;            direction = 0;            which++;            if (which == 5)                which = 0;        }    }    /* Draw a layer with variable color */    switch (which)    {      case 0:          color = SDL_MapRGB (screen->format, value, 0, 0);          break;      case 1:          color = SDL_MapRGB (screen->format, 0, value, 0);          break;      case 2:          color = SDL_MapRGB (screen->format, 0, 0, value);          break;      case 3:          color = SDL_MapRGB (screen->format, value, value, value);          break;      case 4:          color = SDL_MapRGB (screen->format, value, 0, value);          break;    }    rect.w = screen->w / 2;    rect.h = screen->h / 2;    rect.x = (screen->w / 2) - (rect.w / 2);    rect.y = (screen->h / 2) - (rect.h / 2);    SDL_FillRect (screen, &rect, color);    /* Make sure everything is displayed on screen */    SDL_Flip (screen);    /* Don't run too fast */    SDL_Delay (1);}intmain (int argc, char *argv[]){    char *msg;    int done;    /* Initialize SDL */    if (SDL_Init (SDL_INIT_VIDEO) < 0)    {        sprintf (msg, "Couldn't initialize SDL: %s\n", SDL_GetError ());        MessageBox (0, msg, "Error", MB_ICONHAND);         free (msg);        exit (1);    }    atexit (SDL_Quit);    /* Set 640x480 16-bits video mode */    screen = SDL_SetVideoMode (640, 480, 16, SDL_SWSURFACE | SDL_DOUBLEBUF);    if (screen == NULL)    {        sprintf (msg, "Couldn't set 640x480x16 video mode: %s\n",          SDL_GetError ());        MessageBox (0, msg, "Error", MB_ICONHAND);         free (msg);        exit (2);    }    SDL_WM_SetCaption ("SDL MultiMedia Application", NULL);    done = 0;    while (!done)    {        SDL_Event event;        /* Check for events */        while (SDL_PollEvent (&event))        {            switch (event.type)            {            case SDL_KEYDOWN:                break;            case SDL_QUIT:                done = 1;                break;            default:                break;            }        }        /* Draw to screen */        draw ();    }    return 0;}

Specs: Windows XP, Dev-C++
The best thing to do is just choose whatever you think you'd prefer, and go for it. -Promit
The code isn't the problem, here. Now it's a case of the correct libraries not being linked. Not being over familiar with Dev-C++ (to the point of having uninstalled it a while back), I'm not sure why -- but it appears that the core windows and standard libraries may not be getting linked like they should. For a command line compile, this is done simply by adding the switch "-mwindows". Perhaps you could dig around and see if something like that got disabled or deleted.

EDIT (now that I thought of it): If nothing else, you could delete your Dev-C++ project file(s) (not your source, just the project file that Dev-C++ created), reinstall Dev-C++, and create a new Win32 project and add your source files in again (along with the linked libraries -lsdl and -lsdlmain). A long fix, I know, but worth a try if you can't figure it out.
{[JohnE, Chief Architect and Senior Programmer, Twilight Dragon Media{[+++{GCC/MinGW}+++{Code::Blocks IDE}+++{wxWidgets Cross-Platform Native UI Framework}+++
Try:

if (SDL_Init (SDL_INIT_VIDEO|SDL_INIT_TIMER) < 0){    sprintf (msg, "Couldn't initialize SDL: %s\n", SDL_GetError ());    MessageBox (0, msg, "Error", MB_ICONHAND);     free (msg);    exit (1);}
I must say I tend to agree...if you've explicity included all libraries (via the browse type option), I am wondering if you have the project as a WIN32 gui project and it should be a WIN32 console project?

I know that the SDL projects I've done in the past with dev-c++ have been win32 console projects.

Straws and grasping at springs to mind though.

Sorry, not being much help to you.
If it helps, here's the SDL linker flags I use within Dev C++.

-lmingw32 -lSDLmain -lSDL -lSDL_ttf -lSDL_mixer -lglu32 -lopengl32

You may not need anything from beyond -lSDL for now, though.
Okay.

As a test I created 1 win32 console app and compiled and ran the code fine, and another win32 windows application which also ran okay.

Both with Dev-c++ 4.9.9.2.

The only other suggestion I have is that you download and install the sdl dev-c++ devpack again???
Ok, think that I'm on the brink of it working!

All thats left is there's a syntax error in SDL_audio.h. The line of code is:

void (SDLCALL *filters[10]) (struct SDL_AudioCVT *cvt, Uint16 format);

With a syntax error before the [ token. Any suggestions? I've tried shifting around the code some, but I really don't want to mess up this header file..
Some help here..?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement