3d Frustum Clipping

Started by
5 comments, last by CJWard 18 years, 8 months ago
Hi All, I am in the middle of developing a software renderer. So far I've created a basic wireframe engine but now I'm looking to add clipping. I am trying to implement view frustum clipping in camera space. I've been able successfully compute the six frustum planes and compute a line-plane intersection. The trouble I am having is determining the algorithm for computing the clipping of an arbitrary triangle. Any thoughts or places I can go for information? Thanks for your help. Robert
Advertisement
I haven't looked at it, but Tricks of the 3D Game Programming Gurus-Advanced 3D Graphics and Rasterization by André LaMothe covers creating a software renderer. At 1728 pages, I wouldn't be surprised if it answered your question. Take a look at the table of contents.
Just for curiousity, why are you creating a software renderer? I see nothing wrong with the idea. You can learn alot from doing so. I'm just curious. Also, good luck with it.

Take a look at the Sutherland-Hodgeman clipping algorithm, which might be exactly what you're looking for: Google results.
Quote:Original post by kburkhart84
Just for curiousity, why are you creating a software renderer? I see nothing wrong with the idea. You can learn alot from doing so. I'm just curious. Also, good luck with it.

Writing software renderers is '133t'. Completing a software renderer is about 3/4 up the leet coder scale ;P .

------------------<a href="http://jsgc.sourceforge.net>jsgc
Quote:Original post by kburkhart84

Hi kburkhart84,

I am writing a software renderer just for fun I guess. And to learn as much as I can about computer graphics and all the algorithms, data structures, theory, etc. that comes with building it. Thanks for the luck as well... I'm sure I'll need it when I get to the more advanced topics.

Robert
"3D Game Engine Programming" by Stefan Zerbst has the theory and algorithms on how to do clipping on arbitrary triangles. Unfortunately I do not have the book with me, however I can highly recommend the book. Will F's suggestion is probably better still if you are trying to create a software renderer though.

EDIT: Good luck, I hope to create a software renderer of my own soon

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement