The one-stage FPS

Started by
13 comments, last by exoskeletal_ninja 18 years, 8 months ago
Hmm, sorry if this doesn't fit in properly with what you're saying but for me Deus Ex 1/2 comes to mind. Either that or I'm getting mixed memories of Deus Ex and other games but couldn't you repeatedly visit areas of the game in Deus Ex? As if it was one world and you got missions by speaking to the right people.

If my memory serves me correctly then Deus Ex 1/2 (not quite sure whether it's just one of them or both that apply) is the closest FPS game to GTA that I know of. Being able to go everywhere, kill anyone as well as getting missions by going to the right people etc.
Progress is born from the opportunity to make mistakes.

My prize winning Connect 4 AI looks one move ahead, can you beat it? @nickstadb
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by InsaneBoarder234
Hmm, sorry if this doesn't fit in properly with what you're saying but for me Deus Ex 1/2 comes to mind. Either that or I'm getting mixed memories of Deus Ex and other games but couldn't you repeatedly visit areas of the game in Deus Ex? As if it was one world and you got missions by speaking to the right people.
Deus Ex "fakes it" by having multiple copies of the levels for your further visits (often, things have changed). You're usually free to move & get side-missions within the level's "sub-levels" (like the bar, hotel, clinic and sewers in the Hell's Kitchen) but once you leave the current set of sub-levels you can't get back.

If anyone remembers the Amiga game Hunter, it was based on several gamemodes (long "quest", shorter missions, and pure war) over a single map consisting of a few islands. Worked sweet, and had vehicles. Could work well if updated into modern 3D and 1st person.
I think Postal 2 sticks to this aswell. The city map is, well, there. Each following day an extra piece of the town is unlocked and you can walk around in a bigger map.

But, the maps are still the same, as the week progress. You gain new weapons, have to complete new missions and there is more police on the streets.

Toolmaker

Freelancer is not an FPS but the game mechanics are the (sort of) same. As Wavinator correctly (as usual) said, the fun of getting from point A to point B in GTA and the others is slaughering grannies, knocking out other vehicles (especially motercycles) and generally being a nuicence. The reason I mention Freelancer is that the aim in singleplayer is to advance the storyline, and the aim in multiplayer is to get those extra credits to buy the next ship/weapon. And Freelancer was still fun.

I have had a concept for a game in my head for a while, it is kind of similar to Deus Ex in the way you have a base and get quests from there. After that you can choose how you want to do the mission, and how you do it, and in what order effects the outcome of the story.

Having a seamless FPS world could be fun, but it would need some serious designing to make it so.
[email=django@turmoil-online.com]Django Merope-Synge[/email] :: Project Manager/Lead Designer: Turmoil (www.turmoil-online.com)
A virtual cityscape like that of Deus Ex 2's Upper Seattle would make a great FPS.

On a side topic:
That game had so many great points about it. A combination of FPS and RPG, it was awesome hunting around for those little canisters. That and I want to be an Omar Protector. Or Alex D. I've gotten hooked on the kidneythieves music (N.G. Resonance).

So ++ to anyone with a DeusEx/GTA/Halo hybrid in dev.
-------------------------------------------"Oh no! It's a Parabola of Mystery!!" - RvB | Blog

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement