Pre-computed window reflections?

Started by
2 comments, last by fahlen 18 years, 8 months ago
Hi, I'm wondering if there's anyone who know's if it's possible to pre-compute reflection maps for window reflections in a city environment. Had it only been one single planar reflection as is the case with water, the extra rendering pass wouldn't matter. But in an urban environment there can be many planar reflective surfaces visible at once, even when all the windows in a single facade are condsidered a single surface. The reflections need not be completely accurate. Does anyone have experience of a similar situation?
Advertisement
In spider man, they just used a cube map reflection.

It would just reflect the sky and a background picture of a city, it looked really good unless you got up close and noticed it wasn't reflecting the building across the street!
I'm fairly sure Half-Life 2 does something similar to this. I know that when I was working with the game engine a few months ago (just playing with the tools, really), that there was a command available that would build a series of cube maps based on the various geometry surrounding any "cube map entities" placed throughout the map.

The only downside is that there won't really be any dynamic reflections of objects in real-time, but if you're working with fairly complicated level geometry, that should be an acceptable sacrifice.
OK :) Thanks! I'll start testing this out. The tough part will be the generation of these cube maps, as I'd like to do this in 3ds max. But maybe it's not that difficult to write a max script that accomplishes this. Another thought I had was to generate a cube environment map for points along the streets, every so many meters, and then blend the results of texture lookups to the two closest such points, using the inverse distances as weights. But then, this would probably just lead to an undistinguishable reflection. The way to go is probably to do as you say, generate a cube map for every entity (building).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement