UK Exam Results Day

Started by
30 comments, last by TomX 18 years, 8 months ago
Quote:Original post by Jason2Jason
Quote:Original post by python_regious
That doesn't mean its easy for all.

Considering the pass rate is something like 97% - I beg to differ.

An E is a pass, just not a very good one, it means they got a majority of the questions wrong. if 70% for instance of the passes were of E's or D's, would you still call it easy? (I don't know the figure, if you do please tell me, I just find it degrading that we have to go through 2 or 3 years of all this jsut to be told by some people that its worthless.)

-J

I can't remember off the top of my head, but something like 70% of people get A-C. Don't quote me on that, I might be thinking of GCSE's or something.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
Advertisement
That doesn't mean its easy for all.

Considering the pass rate is something like 97% - I beg to differ.

An E is a pass, just not a very good one, it means they got a majority of the questions wrong. if 70% for instance of the passes were of E's or D's, would you still call it easy? (I don't know the figure, if you do please tell me, I just find it degrading that we have to go through 2 or 3 years of all this jsut to be told by some people that its worthless.)

-J

I can't remember off the top of my head, but something like 70% of people get A-C. Don't quote me on that, I might be thinking of GCSE's or something.

Thats sounds like one of the GCSE figures i heard last year or something, but again I'm not sure.

-J
That would be the pub yes?
I went to the pub... twice, I think, during term time. More a lack-of-brains than a lack-of-liver. [grin]

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

Ok, I just looked it up.

In Maths - 73.6% of people got A-C.
Physics - 65.8%

Overall, the average for all subjects is 69% of A-C grades.

Taken from the Times website.
A Levels are easy.

I've just studied them in my first year.

I did AS Computing and the whole A Level Maths.

I got A in Computing and an A in Maths, just found out this morning.

Well, when I say A Levels are easy I mean Maths is easy, learn the method do the question... simple.

I'm really chuffed with my results though:
C2 - 100
S1 - 99
C4 - 93
C3 - 89
C1 - 91 (Did in January though)
D1 - 91 (Did in January though)

I have a paper from 1986 and I cannot do any questions from it, doesn't this seem to imply things are getting a little easier?

[Edited by - TomX on August 18, 2005 10:35:45 AM]
Quote:Original post by TomX
I'm really chuffed with my results though:
C2 - 100
S1 - 99
C4 - 93
C3 - 89
C1 - 91 (Did in January though)
D1 - 91 (Did in January though)

What the hell is C? When I did A Level maths, we had P (Pure) M(Mechanics) S(Stats). I *think* D might have been around then, not too sure though...

Quote:
I have a paper from 1986 and I cannot do any questions from it, doesn't this seem to imply things are getting a little harder?

You mean easier?
I wouldn't be surprised if the pass rate is due to the stupidly easy subjects that are being introduced as A-level subject. Traditional subjects like Maths are still pretty difficult if you ask me (please don't ask me, I failed maths.)

Edit: Ok, according to the above, that isn't really true. Oh well, maybe they are getting easier. My college was a bit of a joke and relied heavily on people doing work outside lessons, which is probably why I did so badly. That, or I'm stupid.
the rug - funpowered.com
I studied Scottish Advanced Highers in 2002, which were much harder than A-levels at the time. When I went back to my old school I looked at the past papers from 2004 and I have already noticed a significant drop in the difficulty. They have even dropped an entire maths module and not introduced another(geomtory).

The people I knew at my university in England all believed A-levels have been getting easier for a very long time. My Father who studied the equivelent about 35 years ago says without a doubt they have been getting easier. Checking the papers my father did all those years ago it seems obvious to me they have been getting easier.
Well I got AABB in Maths, Physics, Further Maths and Chemistry respectively. Very annoyingly I missed an A in Further Maths by 3 marks and an A in chemistry by 5 (that's out of 600 marks). I've applied for a remark but I dunno if it'll be back in time for any grade upgrades to count for my first choice uni (CS at Cambridge), so currently I'm going to be going to Bristol (for CS) though I might still make Cambridge.

Quote:What the hell is C? When I did A Level maths, we had P (Pure) M(Mechanics) S(Stats). I *think* D might have been around then, not too sure though...

C is P basically I think it's just a different syllabus or exam board or something.
P is Pure which I assume you know.

C is Core which is just a dumbed down Pure :)

Pure > Core.

Monder, good luck with your situation. If you're just a few marks off the grade I think they'd let you in, I've heard stories, true or not, where they're much more lenient.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement