Character Thoughts

Started by
10 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 8 months ago
Having a character think for himself really pushes the player into the "Guardian Angel" role, in that he's just there to keep the character from dying. Which, works well enough given an appropriate design.

As for a specific window. This really depends on the style of the game. For example, if you're using comicish bubbles with the little triangular arrow to point at who said what, then the bubble with detached bubble for thought is the obvious way to go.

Likewise, if you had a specialized text window that always appears on a specific part of the screen, and along side it a portrait of the character speaking; then a smaller thought window, semi-transparent, with a smaller portrait of the playable character making some thoughtful grimace, thats the way you'd want to go there.

Then theres the possibility of a silent but witty narration. I remember watching a show, I think it was on TechTV before G4 claimed it, about inventors. The show didn't have a verbal narrator, it had yellow text along the bottom left of the screen.

However, I should warn in advance to maintain your gimmicks and don't break them. A character thats always thinking would seem odd if he started talking. If he needs to talk though, you need to find the happy medium between the two.
william bubel
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Kest
I'm wanting to stay away from more opinionated thoughts. I mean the people in my game world will have a certain dialog and attitude. I don't mind forcing that attitude onto the player, since he lives in that world. But I don't want to say anything that the human player could disagree with. For example, there's no way they could decide that the bartender doesn't smell like mutt sweat. I don't mind using words that the player might not use, but I don't want to express a feeling that conflicts with the user's feelings.

I've heard the advice that a writer shouldn't tell the reader how to feel but should describe the scene such that the reader does feel that way. Don't say "Before them was a beautiful landscape" but "They could feel a cool breeze gently tug at their hair as they gazed at the grassy plain stretching to the mountains in the distance" (I'm no writer, but you get the idea). If you wanted the opposite effect you might say something like "They felt a cold wind chill their skin as they watched the empty field stretch to the mountains looming in the distance".

Quote:
Of course the two examples you gave for Max Payne and Far Cry don't sound bad. I have to admit though, Jack Carver is like the worst action hero to ever grace the monitor. Almost as bad as Serious Sam.

Serious Sam rocked!
"Look at the size of that thing! 0wned..." [cool]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement