Design help needed (UML overview)

Started by
14 comments, last by swinchen 18 years, 8 months ago
Wow good stuff! That makes a lot more sense now.

So basically you have a std::map of std::maps. The outer is a map of groups, and the inner is a map of textures. That makes sense.

I can't even begin to imagine how you model things like those typedefs in UML.

STL seems to be very powerful. I think I will need to look around for some more reading material on it. Koshmaar: Are there any other web resources that find to be very useful?

Thanks.

EDIT:

Why: typedef std :: map < std :: string , TextureHandle > TextureGroup;
Instead of: typedef std :: map < std :: string , TextureHandle* > TextureGroup;
?

Advertisement
Quote:
I can't even begin to imagine how you model things like those typedefs in UML.

Typedefs aren't modeled in UML :-) AFAIK when you want to have typedef in UML (so that users will be aware of it) you can write that typedef directly in comment, class definition etc.

Quote:
STL seems to be very powerful. I think I will need to look around for some more reading material on it. Koshmaar: Are there any other web resources that find to be very useful?

Yup, Google and C/C++ reference are nice :-) And remember to read those from my last post, they're really great (I learned from them).

Quote:
Why: typedef std :: map < std :: string , TextureHandle > TextureGroup;
Instead of: typedef std :: map < std :: string , TextureHandle* > TextureGroup;
?

TextureHandle have only few integers inside, so it would be overoptimization to keep pointer to TextureHandle allocated on heap. Also, it's more error-prone, less safe, you have to check for nulls (ie. from new) etc.
Thanks for all the help Koshmaar.

I managed to get a little program slapped together using a texture manager similar to the way you do it (although no groups, and no directories)

Here is my little demo tiles.zip

So how do i join your team? lol :)
No prob :-)

Nice demo, but why sources aren't included? You know, there's nothing to lose when even Carmack releases sources of Quake3 :-)

Quote:
So how do i join your team? lol :)

My team? I don't have any team ;-) some time ago there were 2 people in "team", but their help limited to sending mails etc. And sorry, now I'm one-man orchestra, no help needed :-)
lol. I didn't include the source because.. well at the end I got a little lazy. (I hard coded a few contants where a few constants ought not to be hard coded.)

So basically I was a little embarassed by my code. Seeing some of the code that gets pasted around here, I am feeling a little outclassed (no pun intended) :)

Ok, I cleaned it up a little and included the source.

tiles w/ source

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement