Dilemma of my design too risky to implement as an indie?

Started by
9 comments, last by Trapper Zoid 18 years, 8 months ago
Quote:Original post by shmoove
Can you break your big idea into smaller, simpler, easier to implement pieces?
You already know that working on this game isn't realistic if you want to make your bread making games, but you might be able to try out some of your concepts in smaller more mainstream projects.

I've been thinking about that. Since at its core the game is a management style game like RollerCoaster Tycoon, SimCity or Populous, the implementation strategy that makes the most sense is to design all the game elements as separate components, and then build a skeleton game with as few of the components as possible. Then I'd keep adding the other design element components until the game is complete. However I still think it will take a couple of years before there's enough components for the game to feel "full" enough to be considered complete.

It's also possible I could separate some of the implementation details out into little test simulations, but it would be hard to build a complete game out of them. Although I could use bits of them as parts of other games. For example, I'll need a 2D mouse driven interface with a windowing system, so I could build a puzzle game with a similar interface. That's not a bad idea, actually.

Quote:Original post by shmoove
Quote:Original post by Trapper Zoid
If that means making Bejeweled clones for MSN that I'd like that a whole lot better than programming software for beligerent clients or teaching mathematics to disinterested teenagers (tried both of those already!).

I don't know about that. Of course it's completely personal, but I've been down that path and it filled me with a lot of frustration.
shmoove

Okay, as an extra qualification; if I wasn't forced to dance to the tune of a big soulless publisher, then I'd probably prefer to be making Bejeweled clones.[smile]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement