Backgrounds

Started by
6 comments, last by Vlad_alucard 18 years, 8 months ago
Well hi! I'm developing a game bla bla bla yes it's a space shooter.... and i thought of putting some stars on the background because, well maybe it is realistic. but hey how? I tried it many ways and the last thing, and maybe the best, was to create a huge shpere around the player's ship.... I used the glu library and yes i used the gluSphere(....); method.... i tink i did it correct using nehe's tutorial with this. now my problem is that there are no stars. i binded the texture with the object, but well i think the texture is on the other side of the sphere and not on the inner sides.... is there any possibility to place the stars on the inner side of the sphere? or might there are other... better solutions to create this background.
Advertisement
If it is 3D, make a skybox, for example, and instead of texturing with ground and sky, texture it with stars.
well yes it's a 3d space shooter... and i have built a star texture for this. what do you mean with skybox? a box where i put the object?
I found a tutorial for this in DirectX, but not in opengl. You should be able to convert it though. Skybox. And here is a little background info on them What is a skybox?
Sure, after I post I find an OpenGL tutorial.
thanx for your help ;)
I suppose an alternative method would be to just plot random pixels, similar to a particle system. That would be far less capable of displaying good looking star systems though, like nebulae.
yes this was the first solution i thought of but it didn't really work and well now i think i will implement the skybox.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement