the Disney Game?

Started by
3 comments, last by methulah 18 years, 8 months ago
I wonder what holds us back from making games that appeal to all ages, like the Simpsons (tv) or Disney's Lion King / Pixar's Toy Story etc? If someone could crack this formula, then I think that they would become a powerful player in games making, being able to inflitrate most households. Things that hold us back: Who buys (chooses) the games? Will a game suitable for young players be fun for older players? How can parents interact if their kids are playing- are games too much of a solitary experience? How about allowing parents to enter the game as a side-kick / another player? Or would it be better to first of all concentrate on marketing to the kids themselves? Ie. Making an experience that can be collaborated on, sharing tips in the play ground, playing co-operative 2 player, trading items etc? Ie. Establish a market for the form of the experience? Licensing, the right license would probably help you in your effort.
Advertisement
Katamari Damacy.
Just about anything with Mario in it.
Minesweeper.
All the good old SCUMM adventures.
Sports games.
Tetris.

Should I go on?

shmoove
Don't forget Zelda, that's playable for all ages... the violence is very mild.
Basicallly, if you don't use too many adult themes, and hit the sweet-spot of "easy to play, hard to master" (not that that's easy), you've got yourself a "Disney game".

shmoove
the games for these franchises (?) exist. They are just crappy because they are being bought for the franchise, not for the actual game.
[email=django@turmoil-online.com]Django Merope-Synge[/email] :: Project Manager/Lead Designer: Turmoil (www.turmoil-online.com)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement