Win32 Programming

Started by
13 comments, last by JTWatters 18 years, 8 months ago
Be careful of hijacking threads.

Also be careful of asking "X or Y? Which is better?"

Shortly and sweetly: You can start using SDL when you get bored of console applications; in fact I'd highly recommend SDL or Allegro. (Allegro's documentation is better and its interface more powerful, IMHO). DirectX is a hugely complex API that should probably wait until you're more advanced. You don't need to learn Win32 for SDL or Allegro, but you probably should for DirectX.
{[JohnE, Chief Architect and Senior Programmer, Twilight Dragon Media{[+++{GCC/MinGW}+++{Code::Blocks IDE}+++{wxWidgets Cross-Platform Native UI Framework}+++
Advertisement
Thank you TDragon! And sorry for interupting the thread... :(
Here is a quick list of SDL tutorials should you choose to go that route. It will get you out of the boring cosole and doing simple 2D graphics in no time.

Documentation

Cone3D

Aaron's

Cornerstone

Lazy Foo

Gpwiki
Quote:Original post by krum
Win32 is not going away. HAHAHA. That's rediculus! .NET is built upon Win32 and if you want to do anything fancy you have to learn Win32. If you want to learn how windows works of course go with Win32. If you just want to write applications, then Win32 is probably not the way to go.

Exactly. You should not learn .NET, because when you're feeling like learning how it works underneath, you'll be lost, and I wouldn't trust you as a co-worker. Know how it works underneath, then learn the higher levels, such as .NET.
Try www.gameinstitute.com C++ Module II. It teaches the Win32 API.
http://www.myspace.com/sinisttr is my myspace

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement