C++ buying question

Started by
13 comments, last by Julian Spillane 18 years, 8 months ago
DevCpp comes with the MinGW compiler, you don't need to download one separately.
Advertisement
So after downloading C++ I'll have:
Dev C++
Blender

Will there be anything else that I need and what are some other programs that will help me with development...or would those be in the dictionary section?
If you're new to C++, then the next step is to get familiar with the language basics. You can wait on more downloads until you've got that part figured out.
Quote:Original post by SiCrane
If you're new to C++, then the next step is to get familiar with the language basics. You can wait on more downloads until you've got that part figured out.

And expect this part to take a while.

If you jump in expecting to write a pong clone in two days from now, you are going to be dissapointed.

There is no refuting the fact that programming takes a long time to get used to.

Just a word of warning. [smile]

And if you want resources and articles in terms of game development, you're already at the right place. Oh, and there's Gamasutra.com, too.

But as has been pointed out, games are not easy things to make. I'm not trying to dissuade you, but it took many of us here months of learning a language to just to -properly- clone a so-called "old looking" game, let alone be on the cutting edge of three-dimensional graphics. Your coding skills have to be great, and your ability to problem-solve even greater.

Now, if it's what you're adept at doing, then you'll be making great things in no time. But you have to have patience and tolerance for older-looking things and the dated things. They're not necessary to recreate to make a 3D game, but they give you an understanding of previous techniques and allows you to build on them.

Anyways, good luck on your quest of knowledge! :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement