DirectX vs OpenGL

Started by
2 comments, last by Sneftel 18 years, 8 months ago
Hi there, Just want to ask you guys' comment, to select a 3D engine, how do you compare between DirectX and OpenGL ? Pros and Cons ? I'm currently in a small game company and is about to make a decision to buy an engine or develop our own ... thx Edidas
Advertisement
Their capabilities are exactly equal, as is their speed. It's a matter of preference. That's all there is to the story.

Period.

This has been the heated subject of many a thread. Don't take my harshness personally.
Quote:Original post by Edidas
Hi there,

Just want to ask you guys' comment, to select a 3D engine, how do you compare between DirectX and OpenGL ? Pros and Cons ? I'm currently in a small game company and is about to make a decision to buy an engine or develop our own ...

thx
Edidas

I don't mean to sound rude, but this sounds like flamebait. The fact that you're asking this question on this forum brings serious doubt into my mind about your story of a "small game company trying to make a decision..." But, I digress.

There have been plenty of articles written on this subject. The only article I've personally read on the subject is at the Wikipedia here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct3D_vs._OpenGL

I think it's a very objective review of the two rendering API's and I can assure you that it provides much more information and factual analysis than any response you will get on this forum.
I think that should do it. Edidas, please refer to the forum FAQ regarding flamebait topics.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement