how to improve performance

Started by
24 comments, last by RPTD 18 years, 8 months ago
however in my engine i keep the hierarchical scene subdivision independent from the implementation the matrix thing is actually quite scene dependent

the lookups might perform faster but rendering indoor environments will definitly be slower due to the lack of indoor pvs

the mappers need to place the PVS manually in the editor in my engine to get the optimum out of it
http://www.8ung.at/basiror/theironcross.html
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Basiror
however in my engine i keep the hierarchical scene subdivision independent from the implementation the matrix thing is actually quite scene dependent

the lookups might perform faster but rendering indoor environments will definitly be slower due to the lack of indoor pvs

the mappers need to place the PVS manually in the editor in my engine to get the optimum out of it

You can write a matrix or an octree hash map with the same interface (I derived them form the same virtual class).

With that many atoms all on screen at once, do you really need the spheres and cyllinders? Lines and sprites get the point across... And if your interested you can use depth sprites I think they're called to get an almost perfect sphere with a single quad. You'd pay dearly for it in the pixel pipeline though.
___________________________________________________David OlsenIf I've helped you, please vote for PigeonGrape!
Quote:Original post by blizzard999
Quote:Original post by RPTD
little note to octree. they are fast if you have only a medium number of updates per second ( updating an octree is fast... at last for me it always had been <.=.< compared to other methods in my project ). what you though might be looking for is static space subdivision with the help of a 3d-grid ( cublets to be precise ). they are much faster than octrees, store the elements in the cubelet as a list and with AABB<->Frustum collision check tested in a blast.

just my suggestion for this situation.

If octree are fast, matrices have light speed! [smile]

Another note: updating an octree can be very expensive; updating a matrix can be really fast because if you implement a garbage collector you know the used cells and you can clear them in an efficient way. So virtually you have only list splice instead of allocation/deallocation. The matrix is more suitable in dynamic scenes.
Again: you can remove one or more elements from the matrix without invalidate the others; an octree has not this property.

sorry for the cubelet... i got this expression from somewhere. voxel is the term for a cube sized space part. just have no idea where that term came from.

concerning updating the octree i never had troubles so far. ok, i'm using my own scripting language and there new/free is automatic. what i don't get is though why updating the octree should invalidate other elements. in my implementation i can update the tree with at most N steps (N beeing the depth) and all other elements are not changed at all. can you outline the problem there?

Life's like a Hydra... cut off one problem just to have two more popping out.
Leader and Coder: Project Epsylon | Drag[en]gine Game Engine

Quote:Original post by RPTD
concerning updating the octree i never had troubles so far. ok, i'm using my own scripting language and there new/free is automatic. what i don't get is though why updating the octree should invalidate other elements. in my implementation i can update the tree with at most N steps (N beeing the depth) and all other elements are not changed at all. can you outline the problem there?

I was not precise and actually this fact depends by the octree implementation.
And my poor english does not help me! [smile]

I'll try to explain myself: if you create a deep tree with every leaves at the same depth (fixed depth octree) then erase an element do not invalidate the others or modify the tree so much. Probably you have to erase recursively some nodes but other nodes are not affected.

If you adopt a different tree with leaves at different depth then erasing an element (again) does not invalidate, strictly, the other iterators (ie pointers to octree nodes) but "invalidate" the structure; in practice you have to rebalance the tree (pull up nodes if you delete items or push down if you insert new ones).

I tested different solutions and the "fixed depth" octree is the simplest but also the most dangerous! Think for example about this 2D situation:

in a volume               V = (0,0) - (1,1)you have to insert the rect K (key = bounding box )                            K = (0.49, 0.49) - (0.51, 0.51) In practice K is a quad with edge = 0.02 centered in the middle of the main node

In this situation you will create nodes at the max depth! In fact recursively on each subdivision you have again a quad centered in the "pivot" of the parent.

If you apply this situation in a 3D octree you can have a very large number of nodes (8^x !!!) and this produce waste of memory and an incredibly large number of items. Make a "test" on a paper and you understand what I mean.

If you dont use a fixed depth octree you can insert K in the main quad; when you insert a new key K1 you can push both K and K1 to a deeper level until the max depth is reached or until the number of items in the same nodes (hash collisions) is less than a threshold you specify. And so on. I hope you have understood [smile] In this situation the tree is more memory greedy because
we have less nodes but the algorithm is also faster because you collect less items and traverse less nodes.

But we pay ths feature!
In this case when you destroy or insert a node you have to rebalance the tree. If you dont rebalance the tree the risk is that you "saturate" the octree space ( in practice the structure waste memory like a matrix and it is iterated slow like an octree)
Make a balanced tree can be usefull if the scene is static (and the octree can be "compiled" once); but if the scene is dynamic this can destroy its benefits.

In my opinion there is not a perfect data structure; for example there are different solutions in the case of meshes.
Or you can adopt an hybrid one.
Also it depends by the global space (the control volume), the number of items, the relative size of these items...I cannot generalize of course.
You have to test different algorithm to find the better (that is the fastest :) ).
i'm now frightened as what you mentioned as a problem is none in my implementation. i have a fixed volume for the root node (which is determined by my world cell system) from which i operate. each node can have 8 child nodes (for each octant). i have a max depth (8 in my case). elements are placed in the best matching node.

overall in this setup and the algorithme i have i do not need to balance anything, no pushing up or down or nodes. no matter what i do to other elements or nodes, an element will always stay in the same node. i have also no real memory clobbering (although i have not used a delete-optimizer yet).

hence my algorithme works with O(n) ... *confused*

Life's like a Hydra... cut off one problem just to have two more popping out.
Leader and Coder: Project Epsylon | Drag[en]gine Game Engine

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement