contest questions

Started by
5 comments, last by Kyo 18 years, 8 months ago
Sorry, more questions! Where can I find and download previous entries to the four elements contest, so I can see what kind of standard is expected? I'm making a 2d bomberman clone which includes a zombie level and a robot level, and I know it won't rate much on the creativity and technical side but it'll be fun, finished and polished :) But the main premise of the game isn't really about zombies or robots, they're just enemies amongst others on certain levels, does it still count?
Advertisement
Well, here is the generic contests page, here is the download page for 4elements3, and yet more downloads for 4elements2. Enjoy!
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
It will qualify, but you'd score higher in certain categories if you really made use of the fact that they're pirates/zombies and not just generic bad guys that happen to /look/ like pirates/zombies.

Also, bear in mind that this 4E contest is quite a bit bigger than the ones that have gone before, so the standard of entries will probably be quite a bit higher. Take a look at the screenshots thread to see what people are working on if you haven't already.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

I have a slight extension to this question... if, for example, you were making an air-hockey style game (which incidentally I'm not!), but didn't directly include the 4 elements in their purest state, but instead included them in the form of powerups/abilities/etc, would you still score as well as someone who actually included zombie/robot/pirate/ninja characters?

That is to say, if you gave zombie-like abilities to a player and kept true to the elements character, is that enough to say the game has zombies in, or would you be required to include them as fully fledged characters/NPCs. Strictly speaking the game wouldn't really have the elements in it, only characteristics of the elements, but I still personally think that should be enough.

I ask this mainly because I have no problem in creating some basic skinned models, but to have to include fully animated models would almost definitely push my schedule past the deadline (requiring extra coding work and animating skills which I'm only in the process of learning), and it would be nice to know that I can work around this limitation and not lose out too much, so long as the gameplay is good enough.

Thanks for any clarification,

Steve
Cheers,SteveLiquidigital Online
As always, the question is "does it have zombies in?" If you have a floating zombie on the playfield and when you get it a deep voice goes "Zooooombie POWERUUUUP" and the player gets some zombie-like abilities, the answer most people would give is "yes." You might even only need to have the floating zombie to qualify. It's like asking if Gridrunner++ has sheep in.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Ok, that's great. I appreciate that it's a pain to have to answer a thousand variations on the same question, but I think it just goes to show that people care about their potential score and don't want to head off in the wrong direction and waste time on creating something that doesn't qualify.

Also by my question I was implying something slightly different, not that the powerups would represent zombies/ninjas/pirates/robots (or transforming the player into one of aforementioned) but that, for example, a robot player may get the powerup "laser eyes" (among others), a zombie might get a powerup "infect enemy", a ninja might get "stealth puck of awesomeness!" and so on. So technically there are no ninjas/zombies/robots/pirates as such (so it's hard to guage whether people would say it had them in or not) but it is still in some keeping with the theme.

I'm going to assume that's ok because I think you've pretty much answered my question, but just wanted to point out the subtle difference between what I'm saying and what (I think) you think I'm saying.

So anyhoo... no need to answer this, I think I'm safe to say my game will be worth finishing!

Steve

Anyhoo
Cheers,SteveLiquidigital Online
Quote:Original post by superpig
It will qualify, but you'd score higher in certain categories if you really made use of the fact that they're pirates/zombies and not just generic bad guys that happen to /look/ like pirates/zombies.

Also, bear in mind that this 4E contest is quite a bit bigger than the ones that have gone before, so the standard of entries will probably be quite a bit higher. Take a look at the screenshots thread to see what people are working on if you haven't already.

Oh the robots and zombies definitely act like robots and zombies do, but I was worried that they only feature on their respective levels amongst other levels. The game isn't centered around the premise of robots and zombies but they are definitely in there.

I think I've got a nice complete playable game but my main concern is that it's 2D and based on bomberman (don't know why this should be an issue given the number of derivative fps/shoot em up games out there...). However seeing as a pong clone scored 7 for originality and came relatively high in the results of the last four elements contest I'll give it a shot!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement