Build system

Started by
3 comments, last by Arild Fines 18 years, 8 months ago
My current project is a game engine, the game using my game engine can have multithreaded runtime, singlethreaded runtime, multithreaded dll runtime, the same with debug, and then there is ASCII and Unicode versions so this means a lot of configurations(3*2*2=12 per project already), this is really annoying to create everytime I add a project. Because of this I need a program which can generate .vcproj and .sln files for VC++ 7.1. I have tried Google, but I dont know what such a program is called. I would prefer one which creates the files from a simple text format so I easily can copy paste to create all the configurations. I dont know if it made much sense, was hard to explain.
Advertisement
Don't all those options come down to compiler switches? In this case, you could simply create a batch file.

EDIT: I think I misunderstood your post entirely :P
Project files are just XML. Just create some empty project templates with all of that set up properly, then copy&paste.
... or perhaps - if you are not making a library which has to run
on all flavours - only use multithreaded dll and unicode (ascii
is a subset of unicode) - and that in debug/release, which would
limit it to 4

visit my website at www.kalmiya.com
Quote:Original post by CTar
Because of this I need a program which can generate .vcproj and .sln files for VC++ 7.1. I have tried Google, but I dont know what such a program is called. I would prefer one which creates the files from a simple text format so I easily can copy paste to create all the configurations.

CMake is what you want. It generates project files for a bunch of IDEs as well as unix makefiles from a simple text file.

--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement